Cross Border Shopping

Old 06-01-2011, 04:53 PM

Has anyone bought a sewing machine/longarm quilting machine and brought it across the border...

I am considering doing this, either for a used longarm or new...I emailed a place selling the Queen Quilter and they do not ship to Canada but she suggested finding a border store where it can be drop shipped and then I would pick it up from them...

I have no idea how this really works, if it is reliable and safe, and most importantly what the additional costs are for shipping, duty, custom etc...

There is so much more choice in the US for both new and used quilting machines that I am very tempted to take a chance...if anyone has done something like this I am interested in hearing about your experience...
Old 06-01-2011, 05:14 PM

Be careful. Possibly put it on a credit card in case there is fraud so you can stop payment. Maybe find a model that someone near you can help you troubleshoot if there is a problem or is able to fix, train you on (for a longarm) etc. Good luck...
Old 06-01-2011, 05:35 PM

My mom bought a Gammill from the US. there isn't a place in canada anymore that sells them. it was honestly really easy. we went through Accomplished Quilting in Michigan. They took care of everything with the border and duty and all that stuff. Did ytou go to the creative sew festival for the dealers that deal with Canada often? They may be your best option.
Old 06-01-2011, 05:37 PM

the next Creative Festival is not till October...
Old 06-01-2011, 07:19 PM

I have been in touch with Accomplished Quilting and in the fall I will check them all out at the Creative Festival...I am not in a hurry but in the next year or two..by the time I am retired I would love to have one...am saving my pennies..
Old 06-01-2011, 08:30 PM

They were great when they did the set up. The mother board in the machine went & they took it and fixed everything over a weekend. Havent had an issue since then & they will ship anything to you
Once you get it and get used to it & don't mind a vacation check out the Ohio long arm show. The classes there seem to be cheaper then other places and they have a lot of hands on classes.
Old 06-04-2011, 10:24 AM

Would love to go across the border to some great shows...Ohio sounds like a good one...
Old 06-04-2011, 02:10 PM

It should be a good one. There are alot of famous teachers at it... I'm taking quilting in the dark with Dusty. I'm a little excited for that.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:48 PM

I bought my sewing machine in Watertown, NY I had no issues crossing back across the border with it, just keep in mind if your not staying overnight you may pay duty on it. When we crossed back we had bought a bunch of groceries and we didn't pay any duty on the macine. The machine would have cost me double what I paid for it in the US
Old 06-04-2011, 04:17 PM

My hubby and I just bought a TV in the States. Check and see where it is manufactured, we only had to pay taxes not duty because it was made in North America! The free trade agreement actually helped this time!!!