Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Crossing the border from US into Canada >

Crossing the border from US into Canada

Crossing the border from US into Canada

Old 08-29-2011, 08:44 AM

2 things - when they are asking you the questions at the border, they are more interested in your reaction than your response. They are looking for nervous people and will then wonder why you are nervous. So stay calm!

DH and I got stopped at border once and car was searched. As we sat in the waiting room and looked around, I noticed all the men who were being searched had facial hair. Profiling? scruffy = criminal?? Who knows?

They said the reason we were searched, we had been through some drug areas, like Texas. Like the drug fairies had put drugs in our car when we weren't looking, lol!!
We were driving a little old VW car, someone driving a big RV who had the same itinerary would not have been searched, IMHO.

I guess it doesn't mean anything to them that you have gone all 60 years of your life with no arrest record. Everyone is a suspect.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:07 PM

I passed the calm suggestion along. They went up last year to check out the campus and didn't have any problems. This is just a mom who is a little nervous thinking ahead. (Probably doesn't help in a way that I can't go this time but on the other hand, probably better for me in the long run).
Yes, everyone has their passports and I have one as well so that I can go sometime, too. I'd love to see the area, have heard that it's pretty.
Old 08-29-2011, 03:53 PM

taking packaged food into Canada is fine but dont take any fresh food or plants and no more than 3 bottles off alcohol.(not texas mikys or beer kegs) they are to big :D he will be fine the Canadian border gard dont bother americans they just like to hassel law abiding Canadian citisens just because they travel to mexico in an old truck.
Old 08-29-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by lindy-2
taking packaged food into Canada is fine but dont take any fresh food or plants and no more than 3 bottles off alcohol.(not texas mikys or beer kegs) they are to big :D he will be fine the Canadian border gard dont bother americans they just like to hassel law abiding Canadian citisens just because they travel to mexico in an old truck.
Or to Santa Fe in an old car.... *sigh.*
Old 09-05-2011, 11:47 AM

Update: All is well. Crossing took a long time due to paperwork but they didn't check the car at all. Skype is a truly wonderful invention - spoke to him today! He seems really happy and that makes me really happy!