Cutting the cable cord

Old 09-21-2015, 08:37 AM

Changing services depends a lot on what is available in your part of the country. I got rid of DirecTV because their service became horrible and their prices way too high. I am very happy with our cable service, which also carries our internet. I do not have a "land line" phone at my house. I have a cell phone, Verizon is best in our area, and it goes everywhere with me. I can make and receive calls wherever I go and DH and I each have our own number and can talk for free when either of us is out and about without the other.

This is nothing like the old days when Ma Bell and 3 networks controlled communications. Do your homework because there is a lot to learn about each system, and they all work differently in Ohio than they do in California.

Last edited by ShirlinAZ; 09-21-2015 at 08:40 AM.
Old 09-21-2015, 08:37 AM

I have been a customer of Vonage for the last 14 yrs and love them. My phone bill starts at $9.99 add local taxes and the 911 service it comes to $13.36 -this includes all my long distance calls. All you need is high speed internet. When I was in Toledo all I had was the basic cable and internet and my bill went up every month. Signed a 6 month contract with Time Warner went to their local office and paid for the contract in full before they ever hooked me up-but every month I got a dun notice and every month I argued with them. At the end of the contract they took me to court. Well I had all my paper work in order and the Judge sided with me and raked TW over some pretty hot coals.His last remark to them was ' You all need to go back to school and refresh your math skills.
Old 09-21-2015, 03:03 PM

We have Bright House and it is bundled, high speed internet, TV with many channels including HD and two boxes and home phone unlimited calls US, Mexico and Canada (much of my family is there) and is about $160 a month. Not cheap but were we live nothing without cable or other system. And their service if fantastic if there are any problems. And we do watch a lot of TV, joy of being retired and home most of time.
Old 09-22-2015, 04:47 AM

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
I use Google Voice for all my long distance calls. Free calls to US and Canada, unlimited. When there is nothing on TV, I watch videos on Youtube of old comedy shows.
I should add that Google Voice is NOT VOIP - it is a real phone call, through your phone and the person you are calling. And did I mention it is only $0.00 a month?
Old 09-22-2015, 05:14 PM

Thanks everyone for your responses!! I'm leaning toward MagicJack for phones at the moment but will check out the others too. I want a "landline" type setup so I can port my current number. When we get the tv's set up with converter boxes and antennae, I should be fine...Have Roku and can watch a lot on TV. Will keep the WOW internet connection til I move...at least that's the plan at the moment. More input welcome!!