Dallas, Ft. Worth Area...

Old 09-04-2016, 01:23 PM

Default Dallas, Ft. Worth Area...

Hi!
I am flying into Dallas are next week for a conference.
I am staying near the American Airlines Center.

Are there any quilt shops I have to visit?

Is public transportation readily available?

Is the Aquarium wonderful?

Is it blistering hot, or comfortably hot. Its supposed to be 92

It's my first time in Texas and is there anything I SHOULD NOT miss?

THanks

Kirsten
Old 09-04-2016, 02:48 PM
Power Poster

i have been to a quilt shop in mckinney
Old 09-04-2016, 03:42 PM

Cabbage Rose in Ft. Worth if you can.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:56 AM

Originally Posted by ScubaK View Post
Hi!
I am flying into Dallas are next week for a conference.
I am staying near the American Airlines Center.

Are there any quilt shops I have to visit?

Is public transportation readily available?

Is the Aquarium wonderful?

Is it blistering hot, or comfortably hot. Its supposed to be 92

It's my first time in Texas and is there anything I SHOULD NOT miss?

THanks

Kirsten
Welcome to Texas!

There are DART trains and DART buses. DART train stops right outside the AAC, but make sure of your routes before boarding. I hear there are some great fabric stores on Harry Hines, but it's also a street/highway thick with pawn shops and strip clubs, I think, so take care. Fair Park is wonderful, if that's the aquarium you mean, and a DART train goes there. Fair Park has The Cotton Bowl stadium, and wonderful art deco buildings, a rich history. Not sure about daytime hours. Worth seeing, but again, take care. If you can and have time, you should check out the Kimball Art Museum in Fort Worth. But transportation between the cities is iffy; I think there is a DART train between Dallas and Fort Worth, but unsure of where it connects. The AAC should have guide pamphlets and information. And the School Book Depository is downtown and there's a museum inside you might care to visit.

It will be hot compared to WA and is now pretty humid. 92 with humidity in Dallas, Texas is awful, even for natives. Summer clothes with a long sleeved something -- light sweater or jacket -- for over air conditioned buildings would be appropriate, I think. If it's a conference, you'll probably have professional clothes but in your free hours, jeans or slacks and shirt will work. Dallas can be a dress up town but in summer casual is in order. Lots of sandals, shorts, tees, depending on where you are.

Good luck! Hope your trip is wonderful!
Old 09-05-2016, 07:04 AM
Power Poster

All I can say is enjoy!
Old 09-05-2016, 09:34 AM

Thank you all for you lovely responses. I appreciate you all taking the time to respond. I am probably going to try the DART as well as LYFT and UBER.
My main wish is to see the Aquarium.
Thanks again.
Kirsten
Old 09-05-2016, 02:57 PM

If you can get to "Deep Elm" (pronounced deep e' lum), it is the artsy side of Dallas, and worth the trip. I did not go to any quilt shops in Dallas, sorry, but a I worked too many hours to do much quilting...There is city bus transportation to take you nearly anywhere and the air is very humid. In fact check the relative humidity for Dallas during your trip, as that with strongly influence how warm you will be. I lived in cotton and rayon the whole time I lived in Texas in self defense.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Friday1961 View Post
Welcome to Texas!

There are DART trains and DART buses. DART train stops right outside the AAC, but make sure of your routes before boarding. I hear there are some great fabric stores on Harry Hines, but it's also a street/highway thick with pawn shops and strip clubs, I think, so take care. Fair Park is wonderful, if that's the aquarium you mean, and a DART train goes there. Fair Park has The Cotton Bowl stadium, and wonderful art deco buildings, a rich history. Not sure about daytime hours. Worth seeing, but again, take care. If you can and have time, you should check out the Kimball Art Museum in Fort Worth. But transportation between the cities is iffy; I think there is a DART train between Dallas and Fort Worth, but unsure of where it connects. The AAC should have guide pamphlets and information. And the School Book Depository is downtown and there's a museum inside you might care to visit.

It will be hot compared to WA and is now pretty humid. 92 with humidity in Dallas, Texas is awful, even for natives. Summer clothes with a long sleeved something -- light sweater or jacket -- for over air conditioned buildings would be appropriate, I think. If it's a conference, you'll probably have professional clothes but in your free hours, jeans or slacks and shirt will work. Dallas can be a dress up town but in summer casual is in order. Lots of sandals, shorts, tees, depending on where you are.

Good luck! Hope your trip is wonderful!
When I mentioned commenting about this to you, my DIL said you may have meant the AAC Convention Center in Grand Prairie. I know nothing about that location so if that's your conference and hotel destination, disregard what I said about local transportation. She also said there is an aquarium there, so assume that's the one you meant, not the one in Fair Park.