Daylight savings 2011

Old 09-27-2011, 04:45 AM

Yep victoria is this Sunday 3rd of October. Can't wait I love it.
Old 09-27-2011, 08:35 AM

They went without it in Ireland one year as an ecperiment and several children were knocked down, some killed, by cars because they had to walk to school in the dark along country roads. Daylight saving is vital in places which are far from the equator, because the useful part of the day does not stay in the middle.
It seems like schools could change the times for classes to accomodate children in their area w/o affecting the entire country. Here in Michigan the kids are standing by the roads waiting for buses in morning in the dark -- let's see, sunrise was at 7:06 last Friday and the bus picked them up at 6:50 for HS. How smart is that?

I believe this was started in the 1950's on a national level. It seems rather useless in this day and age when we have stores open 24/7, etc. Commerce dictated this change, it's about time we instituted a change that accommodates the consumers! Oh, my -- didn't realize this whole topic hit my buttons so much until I started typing!
Old 09-27-2011, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by kwilter
DST was enacted by CONGRESS and should be cancelled! However, I did say "Congress" and don't we know how quickly (!) Congress moves on anything!
Sure we do ------- S-L-O-W-L-Y !!! (if at all)
Old 09-27-2011, 01:03 PM

Same problem here. I'm sure it happens in all of the northern states.
Old 09-27-2011, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by katykwilt
They went without it in Ireland one year as an ecperiment and several children were knocked down, some killed, by cars because they had to walk to school in the dark along country roads. Daylight saving is vital in places which are far from the equator, because the useful part of the day does not stay in the middle.
It seems like schools could change the times for classes to accomodate children in their area w/o affecting the entire country. Here in Michigan the kids are standing by the roads waiting for buses in morning in the dark -- let's see, sunrise was at 7:06 last Friday and the bus picked them up at 6:50 for HS. How smart is that?

I believe this was started in the 1950's on a national level. It seems rather useless in this day and age when we have stores open 24/7, etc. Commerce dictated this change, it's about time we instituted a change that accommodates the consumers! Oh, my -- didn't realize this whole topic hit my buttons so much until I started typing!
You make some good points, but I am still a fan of Daylight Saving. It has nothing to do with commerce. I have lived in too many places where I could not make the most of the daylight, not for shopping, but for getting outside with my kids, or even by myself, for a walk etc.

Let me say this though, this is not unrelated to the much more political question of time zones. If you want to point the finger at government tinkering, have a look at some of those stories.
Old 09-28-2011, 09:26 AM
Power Poster

I wish they would forget it,
Old 09-28-2011, 12:16 PM

Our time clock at work will be off for 3 weeks. It was made with a preset before "they" changed the start and end times for DST. So for 3 weeks, according to our time stamps, we are starting work at 7AM, and closing up shop by 4PM....our open hours are 9-4:30. LOL

Patti