Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Dead Microwave ?

I set it for 2 minutes but forgot to put the casserole inside. I heard a loud pop. Is it gone? Will not work at all. I can't find any re-start button, tried unplugging, etc. GE has no info on their website! Woe is me!

Oh NO!!! That doesn't sound good!! It sounds like you cooked it good! Fortunately, microwaves aren't so expensive any more! :-(

Oh, oh.......the good news is that they are cheap to replace!

Check the breaker or fuse box. It sounds like you might have popped the breaker or blown a fuse.

Is it a microwave that is built in? If so, it has it's own outlet or should have. See if the electric box breaker was thrown by turning that breaker off & on again. I've done just what you did, but fortunately caught my error before 2 min.

Blog Entries
    If it isn't the breaker/fuse box then I am afraid you fried your microwave :(

Funny.... I had the same thing happen to mine not to long ago.... put something in to microwave, and POP! scared the bejeebers outta me! I tried a few things, unplugging it and plugging it back in, different buttons, etc, but nothing worked. It was an older microwave, so rather than mess with trying to fix, we bought a new one. About $100 at Sears.
    Hate to say it, but you might have to buy a new one! :?

I think you cooked the cooker...to be safe, I think a new one is the way to go. Y ou wouldn't want this one leading microwaves due to a broken seal...

Blog Entries
    I don't know how handy you are, but the mucrowave has its own fuse INSIDE the chassis. Many years ago, mine died, and I unscrewed the cover and found a $2.00 screw-in fuse had blown. I went to the hardware store, bought a replacement and closed it back up and it worked fine for years after.

If you are not comfortable doing that yourself (messing with the cover could possibly change the shielding), then don't try this at home.

Sounds like it bit the dust. At least they are not to expensive now. Check out the back to collage sales.

BOUGHT A NEW ONE
    Quote Originally Posted by dotcomdtcm
    I set it for 2 minutes but forgot to put the casserole inside. I heard a loud pop. Is it gone? Will not work at all. I can't find any re-start button, tried unplugging, etc. GE has no info on their website! Woe is me!

Blog Entries
    Yup, sounds like it's a goner.