Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dealing with remodel issues >

Dealing with remodel issues

Dealing with remodel issues

Old 05-11-2011, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by MTS
Do you have a canal behind the house to hide the body?
Because, to be honest, I really spent about 6 months seriously contemplating "relocating" my contractor.

Now the only time I think that is every time I walk into my kitchen. :roll:

My sympathies. I totally empathize.
I seriously thought about relocating my husband!!!! My 4 girls would say that I would be THEE expert in remodeling, or lack of it, as our bathroom was pulled partially apart for over 17 years. Now, my husband has put on a 20x25' gorgeous family room with a round fireplace he did all alone, and other numerous gardening projects, but never finished the bathroom. Four years ago he redesigned and gutted our whole kitchen and had it done professionally. There just seemed to be a mental block about that bathroom and trust me, I was ready to knock his block OFF!!! It was my greatest point of frustration until this Spring when we raided our pension plan to do it. I told him, "Loogit, we have this money building money but we have this ugly bathroom; I think it's about time we took out some of that money and finished the bathroom." He agreed and professionals did it in two days and it is beautiful. Thankfully it was upstairs so no one ever saw it but our kids but Bathfitters did a superb job and I am one happy camper.

I'm not sure many can beat that time-frame for a story, but I'll be watching.
Old 05-11-2011, 01:45 PM

Bathfitters is pretty good! We had them take out an old cast iron tub and put in a walk-in shower at our little house that MIL lives in and it looks great and most importantly the almost 89 y.o. MIL loves her shower!

In Oxnard, CA in the 90's we gutted kitchen and baths in our little beach bungalow and start to finish including new doors and windows, paint, flooring, etc took just over 3 weeks. I had ALL materials on site before scheduling and worked all the subs on the scheduling far enough in advance that it was a cakewalk. I was the painter and right there to supervise everyone. And they were good peeps - not bozos like I just got rid of today!!!

That is the only thing we don't like here. DH calls it "Bowling Green attitude". These people charge Los Angeles prices then proceed to try to cheat you and do a mediocre job!!!

Adding: DH just said "and a little glob of caulk will fix anything!" LOL
Old 05-11-2011, 02:40 PM

My sympathy Been there.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:49 PM

now invite your neighbors in to see the professional work that contractor did for you. then find out how in the world they were ever licensed in the first place.

i never heard of a deposit of more than 1/3 down. then 1/3 in the middle of the job and the last 1/3 at the end when the customer is satisfied that the details have been finished up. my husband is an architect and that's the way it's always done here.
by needing to make a middle payment it gives you that start-up time to see what's happening and cut out if the job isn't moving along as it should. it also gives the company a chance to dump you if you're a pain in the butt. the job can be terminated right there if anyone's not happy. it also gives the company impetus to get going to get paid.
you only lose 1/3 and they only lose time, which represents money. that first 1/3 of $$$ was supposed to pre-pay for the materials needed for the job. i don't know who owns that stuff in that case.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:59 PM

We had to have the roof fixed. The roofers we hired came the day they said they would. Had the roof done by evening. They had to take off three layers, put down new decking in some spots. They cleaned up EVERYTHING before they left. It rained a couple of days later and we still had a leak. Called them. Came out that day and the vent to the furnace had a crack that they had missed. Fixed that..no cost to us! I love this company. And... we had entertainment. While they were doing the roof one of the guys had a radio and at one point .. did a little dance. If you need a good reliable roofer..PM me and I will give you their name. Of course you have to live in Oklahoma. LOL AND it was almost as good as having Mike Holmes, but not quite. LOL
Old 05-11-2011, 06:08 PM

I have a great roofer - my brother! I just have to give him a trip to visit if I need a roof :-)

Actually easier would be the great guys that just did next door. The boss was on the job and on the roof with his guys.
Old 05-11-2011, 06:23 PM

I am so sorry to hear such sad stories about bad tradesmen they're seems to be a lot of laid-off auto workers who think they are handy My step-Dad was always remodeling which was lucky for me I learned how to do my own remodeling because my Dearly missed Husband could put things off at home til Hell froze over so if it needed done I just did it The only thing that scares me is anything electrical-- I don't like me in curls :-D
Old 05-13-2011, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by ssgramma
Thanks guys - I'm starting to feel a little better (calmer?).

I have never had someone drop the ball THIS badly. And we took the highest bid as it was the most reputable company in town! I mean how dang hard can it be to lay 3 small areas of vinyl???

I seriously considered tiling them myself but didn't really know how to deal with hardwood transition strips or the pedestal sink in the powder room. I guess I should have figured it out!!!

The owner's better figure out that a pretty deep discount is in order or their good name will quickly turn to mud!
TAKE PHOTOS and take them to the better business bureau yourself right away. They will help you straighten out the mess, and perhaps more...
Old 05-13-2011, 01:51 PM

A reputable company is only as good as the contractors that they hire. I would expect someone high up in the company to come out and inspect the work and the flaws.[/quote]
------------------------------------
Don't you have a city or town inspector who has to pass on each job done on a house?
We do, but we live right in town. Each step finished had to have that sharp eyed inspector check it out.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:13 AM

I shouldn't have read these posts! I'm in the process of buying a house that needs major renovations ... water problems caused hardwood floor to buckle so it needs to come out and be replaced. Needs a new kitchen. Bathrooms need updating. Heat pump doesn't work. Well is dry but fortunately city hookup is possible. The deal on thehouse makes it worth the headaches, but I know I'm in for a major ride!