Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Decorah Eagles

Decorah Eagles

If you are an eagle lover and want to see "live" cam reporting on an eagle's nest, the eagles in Decorah, Iowa are great to watch. Over the past few years, we have watched the eagles lay three eggs (which only about 25% lay over 2 eggs) and raise the eaglets until the babies leave the nest. Just in case you need a break from quilting!

Cool thank you. I will be checking that out I love birds of prey.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

We have them near where I live here in Colorado. On the way to work Thursday Morning, I counted 4 and a possible 5th in the trees. Nothing like the sunrise shining on those white head feathers...
    Happy Day
    “The meaning of life is to find your gift. The purpose of life is to give it away.” – Anonymous
    Susan - AKA _ Anglelight

This is my fourth year watching these two beautiful eagles. It's so amazing to see their natural instincts when carrying for their eggs and then the fledglings.
    My soul is fed with needle and thread, my body with chocolate.

Thanks for the reminder. What an educational pleasure!
    "Only those who know enough is enough can ever have enough." Lao Tzu

Watching them can get almost as addictive as the QB! Wonderful observations though!

I got hooked on eagle nest cams a couple of years ago when they had a camera at the Norfolk Botanical Gardens.
    Can't get enough of eaglets hatching!
    QuiltingVagabond aka Kathy

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the link. I love watching those eagles!

I went to college in Decorah and I've been watching these eagles for the last 4 years. I'm still waiting for her 3rd egg for this year (she's had 3 eggs for the past few years). There is some concern for her eggs since it is so cold in Iowa and the Midwest, but if you've seen a picture of the eggs when she gets up to leave and dad fills in, you'll see there is NO SNOW next to the eggs - they have made sure to keep those eggs warm! Now the hard part is waiting for about 33 days until the first one hatches. I'm keeping my office up to date each day and having a great time waiting for the babies!

mama eagle is having a rough time for it is so bitter cold. There was quite the concern over the eggs freezing.

Berry College in Georgia has one eaglet. Just google berry eagle cam

Yes, we have three eggs again. I was watching just in time for the third.

I just checked, and it's only 9 degrees in Decorah right now. I sure hope mom and eggs will be okay. She looks worried to me. I've watched them occasionally for a few years. Thanks for the reminder.
    True self-care is not salt baths and chocolate cake, it is making the choice to build a life you don’t need to regularly escape from. ~Brianna Wiest

Blog Entries
    I watch the Decorah Eagles every year. last year they moved the nest to a another nearby tree.
    Thanks for posting. There is another site in Georgia that have a new chick to watch:

Berry College - EAGLE CAM

It is wonderful to check in and be in the nest for a while and watch very devoted parenting taking place right before your eyes.
    peace

EDIT: For any one who want to see the Decorah Eagles here is the link and one is on the nestright now!

http://www.ustream.tv/decoraheagles
    peace
    Last edited by ube quilting; 03-03-2014 at 02:43 PM.
    no act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. Aesop

Blog Entries
    Eagles are so amazing, graceful and huge. I am lucky enough to live where I see them pretty often, I just saw one flying low overhead going toward the river last Friday. I have seen one sitting on my horse fence post and even one drinking out of our pond early one morning. They are such magnificent birds, I wish everyone had the opportunity to see them like I do.

Alcoa in Davenport, Iowa also has an eagle came. They have 2 cameras for their eagles. So far, there are 2 eggs laid last week. With this bad weather in the area, the staff helped by purchasing 2 bales of hay and laying under the area of the tree. Next thing you know, the hay found its way into the nest for the eggs. Great side. Go to Alcoa.com to watch.
    diane richardson
    Project Linus Springfield/Branson
    We Make a Difference 1 Stitch at a Time
    www.orgsites.com/mo/net

I love to watch these eagles. Such a bitter winter in Decorah this year I feel so sorry for them. I know they are sitting right now I just wonder if the eggs will be viable or if they will freeze from underneath. When they were setting up the nest this year it was fascinating watching their care and pickiness on the rearranging of twigs, sticks and straw!
    Upper Iowa University is my alma mater (68) so know the area pretty well! Go Peacocks!!

We have them near where I stay here in Denver. On the way to work Friday Morning hours, I mentioned 4 and a possible 5th in the plants. Nothing like the sun rising glowing on those white-colored go down...
    Happy Day

1717 Olive

Thanks to everyone for posting the sites to watch these amazing birds. After the winter eagle count along the Mississippi river there is some concern that the number of young eagles is too low.

How wonderful for all of you to watch the eagles. We don't see nesting ones where I'm at, but we do see them flying through.
    When someone mentions quilting, I go to pieces!