Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Deep Scratches on Plastic Machine

Deep Scratches on Plastic Machine

I just purchased a Brother sewing machine, which is of course made with the white plastic. Although the seller gave me a discount, I'm kind of distressed that the plastic case has a pretty darn deep scratch on it.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to lessen the scratch?

TIA

Pudge

Blog Entries
    I have a white plastic one too. I'm afraid anything you do will make it worse.
    Maybe call Brother and they can suggest something to you. That's my only thought.
    If they get back to you. let us know what they suggest you do. (I have 4 Brother machines).
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    I don't think you could ever get the whites to match if you try to fill the scratch with something.

Could you find a pretty sticker to paste over the scratch? Maybe a vinyl decal like this one (cut to size, of course);
    http://www.amazon.com/Removable-Saku...dp/B00E8AUS2I/

If the scratch is too deep for a decal, you could fill in the scratch with something like white Elmer's glue (that dries transparent) and place the decal or sticker over that.

Where is the scratch located on the machine?
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

In the harp area.

What about the appliance paint they sell at the hardware store for fixing nicks and scratches on your refrigerator, etc.?
    Pat

This may sound crazy but what about using the white caulk they use around bath fixtures?
    Margaret

"If the devil could dance in empty pockets, he'd have a ball in mine."

Life is a coin. You can spend it any way you wish but you can only spend it once.

Blog Entries
    I think some Sugru would work.I use that stuff a lot. their logo is "hack things better". It is now sold @ Target stores,as wells as their website.I repaired a crack in our porcelain sink in the bathroom about 6 years ago, still using the sink,and the crack is still sealed.website: www.sugru.com

Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by betty32084 View Post
    I think some Sugru would work.I use that stuff a lot. their logo is "hack things better". It is now sold @ Target stores,as wells as their website.I repaired a crack in our porcelain sink in the bathroom about 6 years ago, still using the sink,and the crack is still sealed.website: www.sugru.com
    THANK YOU...had never heard of this..I am headed to Target today! I love to fix instead of toss...

Blog Entries
    If nothing else works, maybe a bit of wax polish just to fill in the scratch.

Thanks, everybody. I think I'll try a plastic cleaner I found in the garage. If that doesn't work, I'll try Turtle wax for automobiles.

Best regards,

Pudge

I had good results with liquid paper or white out on plastic, the scratch is still there but not so visible.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pudge View Post
    I just purchased a Brother sewing machine, which is of course made with the white plastic. Although the seller gave me a discount, I'm kind of distressed that the plastic case has a pretty darn deep scratch on it.

Does anybody have any ideas on how to lessen the scratch?
    I
    TIA

Pudge
    The best idea I can come up with, and the one I would use, is to get a few emery boards, and starting with the roughest, start gently sanding (soft plastic needs a light hand) and using finer and finer emory boards until it feels smooth, then give it a light coat of clear, non-yellowing nail polish., to keep dirt out of any small grooves left. (You might have to add another light coat of nail polish over time if it is in an area that will be constantly rubbed my fabric.)
    If you always do, what you have always done, The results never change. Change is the wings you give yourself.

If it doesn't effect the operation of the machine.........it's a character mark.

Power Poster
    Sometimes the more one messes with something like that, the worse it gets.

Go to Creative Feet.com She show's you how to paint your sewin machine. Beautiful work. She has a web sight. She lives in AZ.You need to go on sight and read her story,and see all she and family have created.

I like MadameKelly's idea of using a few emery boards. Is the scratch really deep? Maybe a clear epoxy resin could be used to fill the scratch then sand it smooth.

Even with a discount and seeing the damage, why buy it in the first place?
    Everyone is born right handed, only the gifted overcome it.
    I have already committed my felonies, so people don't have to worry. (Russell Means)
    I swear to you, I am guilty of only being Indian. That's why I am here. (Leonard Peltier)
    “If you can’t see a mistake from 12 feet away, it doesn’t exist, and there are no perfect quilts and that helps a lot,” .......Greg Biornstad

Try classic car wax from the auto store first to see if that lessens the scratch....they could also recommend how to address the problem before waxing. Can you post a picture. Remember, when you see the scratch, it doesn't affect your beautiful work you accomplish on this machine. All machines change with use and age. It is not the machine, it is what you create with her. You may be experiencing buyers remorse a little.....enjoy the features of your machine and try to just smooth the spot with the wax. BTW, this wax is great on machine for FMQing. I wouldn't start sanding on your machine bed unless you can to it only in the scratch....you may damage the machine more....making it dull.
    Send a photo if you can.

Do you know any good tattoo artists that you trust to make your machine a "one of a kind".