Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Delivery guy and broke zipper.

Delivery guy and broke zipper.

I had furniture delivered today. The young guy saw my sewing machine and said. May I pay you to put a zipper in my favorite work jacket? I really like the jacket and can't find another like it. I secretly moaned inside but said I'll have to look at it first. He said ok I have it in the truck. LOL It was a regular metal zipper. He had to put together some of the furniture so I took the jacket, pulled a new zipper out of my stash, cut off the teeth of his old zipper and sewed the new one onto the old zipper. Took longer threading my machine and changing the needle size. I handed it to him on his way out. He was stunned. You really did this? That fast? How much do I owe you? It's wonderful. Thank you so much. I said this will be your tip. He said his wife won't believe it and he needs to buy her a sewing machine. LOL
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

That was so kind of you. He'll be telling everyone about what a nice thing this customer did for him.

Watson

LOL, what a great story, and how very kind of you. Talk about making someone's day!
    Lisa

What a cute story. I hope his wife appreciates the sewing machine. LOL
    Everyone can't be Irish, somebody has to drive.

I was not aware of this little trick and really appreciate your sharing this post. I have a jacket that needs the same repair so guess what i will be doing later this afternoon. You just made my day!
    Fabric is like money, no matter how much you have it's never enough.

I never would have thought to sew onto the old zipper tape... You're so smart!
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/sewbizgirl
    Boom 20 Album of Blocks I made to swap https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19942.html
    "The reward of a thing well done is having done it." -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

You sure made his day! What a story he has to tell his wife when he gets home today. It is truly the kindness of strangers that make our day!

What a cute story to put a smile on our face!

Blog Entries
    You did a wonderful thing today. That is the true meaning of paying it forward.

I have done the same trick of cutting off zipper teeth and sewing anew zipper to the tape. It is not always the prettiest repair, but is much easier than opening up all the seams.
    Attending University. I will graduate a year after my son and year before my daughter.

Power Poster
    So nice of you to do that for him. I will do just about anything to avoid putting in a new zipper too.

That is a great story. I learned about that zipper trick on Sewing with Nancy. And I had to laugh about buying his wife a sewing machine. I'm guessing she will be less than thrilled, if he goes so far as to do it.
    Alyce

Kudos to you for such a kind gesture.

DH would always need a new zippers in his work and hunting jackets. That trick makes the heavy duty sewn zippers a breeze to fix. Taking a zipper out of a Carhartts? Not me.
    I believe giving what I can will never cause me to be in need.
    Being cheap is not a badge of honor.
    My heroes are working people, paying their own way, taking care of their children and being decent human beings.

What a fascinating story both of you will have to tell! I was also impressed how you fixed his zipper, such an easy method of repair. Thank you for sharing One-by-One.

Yes! I learned the trick on a Nancy Z. show also, and replaced a broken zipper on my son's very favorite of all lifetime Carolina Panthers jacket! Easy, but so magic-like!!

What a great story! And a great trick! Thanks for doing that for the delivery guy. He will always remember your kindness!
    We didn't realize we were making memories, we just knew we were having fun. ~ Winnie the Pooh ~

1912 World's Rotary Treadle (White Company), 1942 Singer 66-16, 1952 Pfaff 130-6, 1954 Singer 15-91, 1956 Singer 201-2

I was baking a couple loaves of frozen bread when 2 guys delivered my washer & dryer. They commented on the good smell so when the bread was still warm, I set plates, butter and the knife on the counter and told them to help themselves. They did and thanked me many times.

I love that zipper trick! Thank you.
    Retired teacher, loving it.
    Love quilting also.

What a precious story!! Made my day..... And, clever fix...amazing!
    Quilting therapy for the therapist...
    My Summertime Swap blocks: https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...bums19923.html

What a great story! I'm sure that having that zipper put in his jacket was better than a tip! You got new furniture and good feels all in one fell swoop.

Blog Entries
    Delightful read this morning and what a good deed. I’m sure he will be sharing the story of your sewing talent with his friends and family.
    attitude is everything...the rest will fall into place.

Like the majority of us, I've never heard of this zipper trick. I'll have to try to remember it for future reference.

I hate doing zippers, but when I have to, this is how I do it.

Great job! He will appreciate your talent. Thanks for sharing the tip. My SIL is a welder and asks me often to replace a zipper. I will remember that trick.

I love your story. It’s so nice to hear of someone doing an act of kindness when we hear so many negative stories. Yesterday, I had a nice thing happen to me (not sewing related). My car wash ticket had expired and I thought I would stop in and see if they would reissue it for me. They reissued with no problem. I left the car wash with a clean vehicle and feeling like there are still nice people and places to do business. It’s the little things that make a difference.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast