Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Diabetics--What do you cook? >

Diabetics--What do you cook?

Diabetics--What do you cook?

Old 05-23-2010, 06:37 PM
Power Poster

Oh by the way, our doctor put hubby on cinnamon three times a day after his meal. You can buy it walmart in the 500 mg capsules.
Old 05-23-2010, 06:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by RedGarnet222
Oh by the way, our doctor put hubby on cinnamon three times a day after his meal. You can buy it walmart in the 500 mg capsules.
what is the cinnamon for? I have heard this but don't remember what it is supposed to do.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:31 PM
Power Poster

White basmati rice has a GI of 58, brown basmati is 45.

Bulgar wheat is another good pasta/rice substitute. It looks like broken pieces of rice, tastes like pasta. It has a GI of 48 and is high in protein, and VERY inexpensive. I cook it in beef or chicken broth and it really picks up the flavors well. I have even substituted it (cooked in beef broth) for hamburger in spaghetti and my kids did not notice LOL. I have also cut back the hamburger 50% and added this to other dishes. If you cook it soft it is like pasta or rice, if you leave it slightly firm, it is like cooked hamburger, it has a slight chewy texture.

I cooked up scrambled egg patties leaving the centers really soft, let them cool to room temperature. Then layer them in a freezer container with wax paper on the bottom and separating the patties. They freeze really well and it doesn't take long to cook 2 dozen up. I usually cook 2 eggs into a patty. My kids would nuke them and make egg McMuffins. I ate one with my oatmeal or toast. I didn't mind taking 15 minutes to cook a bunch up all at once, I used two pans and got er done LOL I just didn't have the time in the mornings to cook for us before work.
Old 05-24-2010, 04:42 AM

I'm diabetic too. I never eat anything with artificial sweeteners of any kind. You're actually 30% more likely to be obese using artificial sweeteners than you are using real sugar in moderation. You do not have to cut out sugar if you're diabetic. It's just another carb. If you think just switching to artificial sugars is all you need to do for your diabetes you're seriously deluding yourself.

The absolute worst thing for my blood sugar is french fries. They'll keep my blood sugar elevated for a full three days. White potatoes in any form will raise my blood glucose higher than a Pepsi!!

Test, test, test until you know the foods that send your blood glucose to the roof!!
Old 05-24-2010, 06:09 AM

Cinnamon will help keep your sugar down(sometimes as much as 20 units) they are doing studies now on its effect and at twhat levels it works best at
Old 05-24-2010, 06:35 AM

I have really enjoyed quinoa. It is full of nutrients and cooks like rice. I will saute some onion and mushrooms with olive oil, then add quinoa and lightly toast. Add stock or broth and cover till done. Amazing flavor.
Old 05-24-2010, 06:36 AM

I too am diabetic but have been able to keep my A1c's under 6 by eating six small meals a day. Eliminate everything white. They have a good multigrain pasta that is better than whole wheat. I eat a small amount of peanut butter twice a day on a good multigrain bread that does not have corn syrup. The peanut butter needs to be the plain kind that you keep in the refrigerator. The best one comes from Canada in a pint. Not a namebrand, it is very grainny. One egg a day is all the protein necessary. I have eliminated most meat exceept small amount in homemade soups. Lots of veggies, small amount of olive oil and no bought salad dressing. It is hard but can be done.