Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Diaper Bags

Diaper Bags

When making diaper bags do they still make them with the vinyl in thw them. Want to make one foe my daughter and was thinking of using that on the inside.

Blog Entries
    The pattern I have uses some clear vinyl to line the bottle pockets and one other pocket I believe
    It's not a stash-it's a fabric library!
    http://www.mamisquilts.com/

I have not seen one with vinyl inside in a long time I just make an over size purse that will hold a bottle change of cloths and a few diapers and wipes. pocket inside of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Marni View Post
    The pattern I have uses some clear vinyl to line the bottle pockets and one other pocket I believe

Where did you get your pattern?

you can purchase an iron-on vinyl to adhere to the fabric. works nice! Pellon and Lazy Girl makes one. You purchase it from the bolt. For a diaper bag I would think it would make sense!
    sandyl
    Sandygirl

Janome 9900 / Janome 9700 / Janome 3160 QVC/ Janome 1100D serger, Juki 2020 Mini
    Singer Centennial model (inherited from my late, fav aunt!)

dms
    Have you scene the PUL fabric? It feels like regular fabric, but is water resistant and it comes in all kinds of prints and cute colors.

"Have you scene the PUL fabric? It feels like regular fabric, but is water resistant and it comes in all kinds of prints and cute colors."

What is PUL and where do you find it?

I think I've seen something like PUL at JoAnn Fabric Store. It is separate from the regular material......ours is by the notions.

Blog Entries
    i'd put it in. nowadays, they are probably cutting back on it. it would be greatly appreciated if it had the vinyl in it to keep messes contained.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Joanns carries several thicknesses of clear vinyl. The one with the blue paper is very thin ($2.99 per yard at 54" wide). I use this whenever I make bibs (between the layers of fabric), make-up bags and lining the pockets of diaper bags. I just use a longer stitch and sew a bit slower. If it is an area that will be stressed, I use a bit of stitch witchery inside the seam and when I iron it, it 'plugs' the stitch line. I have found this thinner vinyl washes well and have not had problems with the baby bibs.

You can also buy PUL online and it comes in different colors. It is very easy to handle and soft. I used it to make a diaper bag. Just search for PUL and lots of options come in. Here is one website dedicated to babies that I found: http://www.verybaby.com/collections/...ied-pul-fabric

If I were to use Pul would I still put fleece between it?

Quote Originally Posted by quilterj View Post
    If I were to use Pul would I still put fleece between it?
    You could use soft n' stable or some other stabilizer. What does your pattern call for?

klswift, Thank you for the information about using the vinyl with the blue paper between the layers of fabric for bibs. Our first grandbaby is due in June and I am itching to get started sewing for it! But I am going to wait another week until they find out if it is a girl or a boy.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    i'd put it in. nowadays, they are probably cutting back on it. it would be greatly appreciated if it had the vinyl in it to keep messes contained.
    I think these diaper bags are for clean ones, not used ones, but I may be reading it wrong.....

On the back of the pattern it calls for bag, lining and interfacing. I went to joanns today and asked
    for the pul fabric. They pointed me to the nylon fabric that was waterproof . I didn't see anything
    there that seemed to be vinyl like. I know they have the clear vinyl. But asked specifcually for that
    and I didn't seen anything that said Pul. Is there another name for it?

JoAnn fabric store sells pul....they come in different prints. Like the old timer kind of diaper cover we used back in the 60-70's.
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Walmart sells those clear vinyl off a long roll in fabric dept.
    But JA do sells those prints pul....look back past upholstery dept and see those.
    take plenty of pic of family & friends, keep tabs on loved ones but make time for yourself !

Blog Entries
    How times have changed! When I was changing diapers I used a beach bag as a diaper bag. My baby is now 50 years old and of course the diapers were cloth. LOL!!
    I'm too blest to be stressed. Amen to that!