Disaster in Freezer Land

Old 07-17-2010, 08:45 PM

So, today was 101 degrees. We were out of town attending a burial, so we put on the AC so we wouldn't come home to a hot house. Well, we made it home about seven (after we stopped and bought a new couch and loveseat). Anyway, my son comes down from bed telling me he's hungry. I remembered that I bought some mini egg rolls, so I went out to our garage where our upright freezer is. When I opened the door to the garage (which doesn't benefit from the AC), I saw the freezer door wide open. ALL the food in the entire freezer was ruined. We filled three 33 gallon trash bags full of ruined food. I figure at least $300 dollars worth of food was thrown out tonight. Even the chocolate chips I had in the back of the freezer were melted together! I wanted to cry. My son must have left the door opened last night when he went out there for a popsicle. My husband put a couple of boards under the front so the door would automatically close so this doesn't happen again. Still, it will take months to replace the food in there. Not only that, but the freezer was so hot (from trying to cool the food) that we are worried it might be ruined as well. (We bought it last year new for $800!)

What a day!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:50 PM

Oh that's horrible.

Mine is in the garage too (exactly where it should not be) - I'll have to check it tomorrow. It's been in the mid 90s here for days!
Old 07-17-2010, 08:52 PM
Power Poster

How old is your son?
Old 07-17-2010, 08:52 PM

Ouch :-( . So sorry to hear this, we caught ours in time just lost top layer in chest freezer,everything else was still frozen. Someone had (never fessed up )unplugged it.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:01 PM

I think a deep chest freezer would be easier to deal with when something like this happens.

My son is 8.

When they put the freezer in our garage, they sloped it wrong, so the door would stay open and if it didn't latch shut, it would stay open. Now, even with the door opened completely, it will shut automatically. We should have done that months ago. Well, live and learn and don't repeat.

I doubt I will be filling up the freezer any time soon.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:10 PM
Power Poster

Stuff happens. But it definitely is not a day brightener when that sort of thing happens.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:10 PM

Is there any way your house insurance would cover your lost?
I know how hard this is, we lost everything in our side by side due to electrical failure. At the time we didn't have insurance to cover it, we do now. It is so hard to throw everything out that you have worked so hard to put there.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:17 PM

Misty- think on the bright side...it could have been a major accident instead of a minor. I know it doesn't help, but you have a healthy happy family and the loss will become minor in time....
Old 07-17-2010, 09:32 PM

I just HATE grocery shopping.

I had bought a bunch of fish and chicken to help me lose weight and my parents gave me elk. Now it is all gone.

Oh well. You are right about there could be worse disasters. I could have come home to a burned down house.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:48 PM
Kas

When the power was out here for days due to ice, we lost everything in the freezer we couldn't cook on the burner. We have a gas stove, so the burners worked, but the oven didn't. Well, our insurance covered $200 worth of food. Didn't know they would do that. But I don't know if they will because of an 8 yr old! But it wouldn't hurt to ask.