Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: ?dishwasher deodorizer?

Blog Entries

?dishwasher deodorizer?

Recently, someone posted a recommendation for an unusual dishwasher deodorizer - and I, of course, need it, and I don't remember what it is! HELP PLEASE!!!

Perhaps try white vinegar-? I use it in the rinse area~
    Be a blessing to others, as you may entertain angels unaware!

a cup of Tang in an empty dishwasher is a common one

Sears sells a bottle of cleaner that you run in either the dishwasher or regular washer. It works great! It is called dishwasher majic.
    RedGarnet222

"Take your needle, my child, and work at your pattern ... It will come out a rose by and by. Life is like that ...one stitch at a time, taken patiently."
    *Oliver Wendell Holms

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bakermom View Post
    a cup of Tang in an empty dishwasher is a common one
    Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! I knew I'd get a quick answer from my buddies here, even though many of you (and I) are watching the Olympics!
    Last edited by JoanneS; 08-01-2012 at 05:06 PM.

Anything citrus has deodorizing properties.
    legendarycandles.com
    Just discovered I qualify for FABLE (Fabric Acquired Beyond Life Expectancy)

I just throw a handful of bicarbonate of soda in the bottom of the dishwasher if it starts to smell, and it gets flushed out at the next wash. I can't understand the theory of cleaning your dishwasher. Surely it gets cleaned out every time you run it?

I use white vinegar and baking soda to get rid of smells. Efficient and inexpensive.

Quote Originally Posted by AuntieD View Post
    I use white vinegar and baking soda to get rid of smells. Efficient and inexpensive.
    Thanks for these tips. They sound great and I,m going to try them.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

I use the white vinegar in my dishwasher and washing machine we have hard water...good for glass in dishwasher, not
    silverware tho....
    Nancy

Most dishwashers come with a filter in the bottom that needs to be cleaned out from time to time due to small food particles that get trapped in the filter.

1 cup of bleach works wonders. Run your dishwasher empty or full of dishes. froggyintexas
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanneS View Post
    Recently, someone posted a recommendation for an unusual dishwasher deodorizer - and I, of course, need it, and I don't remember what it is! HELP PLEASE!!!

Blog Entries
    My dishwasher had the most awful odor. I cleaned the filters, ran bleach, baking soda etc. It was a little better but not fixed. I finally figured out that in my dishwasher food particles accumulate along the bottom of the door and it needs to be cleaned from time to time. It was so bad the first time I cleaned it I was nearly gagging. We were ready to replace a 3 year old dishwasher the smell was so bad. Now I try to remember to clean it every week or 2. I don't pre-rinse my dishes at all. Drives my mom crazy.

Blog Entries
    I checked the filter/trap, and it was pretty clean & didn't smell, but I cleaned it anyway. I think 'stuff' just builds up on the sides, top and bottom of the dw. After I ran the Tang through one cycle, it smells like citrus! Wonderful hint! Thanks so much for reminding me about Tang! My DW mfr(Fischer-Packel)says I don't have to rinse, just scrape off the big stuff; and it REALLY does work. This is the first time in the 4 years I've owned it that it has developed a smell.
    Last edited by JoanneS; 08-03-2012 at 02:56 PM.

At my house I am the dishwasher....so I just go take a shower!

Blog Entries
    Most dishwashers have a screen and a mini garbage disposal and after time gunk builds up. By taking a cup of baking soda and adding enough water to make it pourable into the lowest part of the drain area and then adding 2 cups of white vinegar letting it set for 15 minutes following 4 cups of boiling hot water will clean most drains and removed the build up.

I had a problem with mine draining completely and when I took the screen out you would be amazed how much gunk was in there from years of use. It is recommended to do this at least once a year.
    The Quilting Bear