Dishwasher DIE

Old 03-12-2013, 02:17 PM

Check around and see if there is a scratch and dent place in your area. Sears usually has one. Many times what they call scratched is not visible. My son bought his refrigerator that way. The problem was a missing piece along the bottom of the front. The salesman took one off another one and still sold it at the scratch and dent price. A good deal for him.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:53 PM

Originally Posted by DebbE View Post
My daughter got a new one for her new home about a year ago - I think she paid around $700, but its a Kitchenaid. I am totally amazed at just how well it cleans dishes and how incredibly quiet it is. My next D/W will be one of those, as it's worth the $$ to me. She had old dishes (pyrex) that had baked in stains that she couldn't get out no matter how hard she scrubbed. The first time she washed those in it, all came out sparkling clean. Ours is a Whirlpool, but its loud, and I don't think it does nearly as good a job as hers does.
I just bought a brand new Whirlpool (THE ONLY DISHWASHER TOTALLY MADE IN AMERICA). I bought one similar to the Kitchenaid but chose not to pay the price for the Kitchenaid name..... It is so quiet that we have opened it several times when we don't even know that it is running. It does a great job on the dishes and holds a ton more than my 20 year old GE. I do have trouble finding enough dishes to fill it before I run it. I have not tried my grungy 9x13 pan to see if the baked on stuff comes off....can't imagine that it will. The salesman at Home Depot was very knowledgeable.
I chose a stainless steal tub (more insulation--so quieter) and won't stain from your wate, adjustable racks (never used them yet), Silverware tray in the door (not sure that I like it there but gives more room for more dishes) and is energy efficient.

Last edited by sailsablazin; 03-12-2013 at 02:57 PM. Reason: want to add more
Old 03-12-2013, 05:56 PM

Our Kitchenaid has been working quietly and cleaning well for about 3 years. We went in on a sale and after checking features asked if the price could be negotiated. Even with the sale, that ask earned us $50 more off. We had a Kitchenaid at our old home that was almost 30 years old. We replaced it when we remodeled the kitchen. We bought a Kitchenaid then, too. They do a great job. We bought a basic model.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:27 PM

I bought the quietest Whirlpool. Quietness was the most important thing to me and it was not cheap. I think all the whisper quiet ones are about 700.00 plus. It's also heavy and cleans like a charm. I've had GEs in the past as was not happy with them. But I think you can get good and bad in most brands.
Old 03-12-2013, 06:43 PM

I only have my two hands right now. LOL
Old 03-12-2013, 11:33 PM

My Kitchenaid has been running for 23 years...not a problem . When it does die I'll buy another Kitchenaid.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by misspriss View Post
I, at one time, had a great dishwasher, but she got married and moved away......
Ha, ha, ha. I have a whirlpool and it was only $234. Love it.
Old 03-18-2013, 06:14 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Feather3 View Post
My Kitchenaid has been running for 23 years...not a problem . When it does die I'll buy another Kitchenaid.

You are losing money using old appliances even if the do work just fine. The energy used is triple what a new energy saving one will use. Old frost free refrigerators are the worst. DH was stubborn about not getting a new fridge when the old one was working. It was old, noisy and ugly. When I bought a new one anyway, he was shocked that our electric bill dropped $70 a month. He plugged it up in his shop and that bill went up $70 a month. Now he is a believer in getting new appliances when the energy rating is lower then what we have.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:29 PM
Power Poster

I guess that should be 'energy rating is higher' then what we have. LOL
Old 03-18-2013, 05:00 PM
MCH

No matter what brand or features you're looking for, take some of you dishes, cups, glasses, bowls (various sizes), and perhaps some pans when you go shopping for a new dishwasher. Many decades ago, I did that as I was determined to have a specific brand. Then, as now, I had the Pfaltzgraff stoneware plates, bowl, mugs, etc. The salesman thought I had lost my mind. My husband just went along with my "craziness". "She's really quite harmless. We humor her often."

When I attempted to put my plates into the rack of the dishwasher I was determined to have, the dishes fell over and remained at an awkward angle that would have inhibited the water spray from the bottom rotating arm. As it turned out, the only brand of dishwasher that would hold my plates, etc., in good positions, was / is Kitchenaid. We bought our 3rd or 4th one about 5 years ago. It's quiet, cleans remarkably well, and we're delighted with it.

One last thought, be sure it has a high temperature boost rinse cycle as that's when the dishes get sanitized. It may add a few bucks to the cost, but having raised a family that operated in the real world of school and the office, as well as when someone has a cold, the flu, etc., having that sanitizing capability on the dishwasher is MAJOR plus. You KNOW your dishes are clean when that cycle kicks in.

If I'm not mistaken, Kitchen Aid is the superior / top of the line product made by Whirlpool.

Just be sure your dishes fit the machine. Otherwise, you will be sorely disappointed, I assure you.

In fact, we bought one like it 2 years ago for our son and DIL as a "baby gift" as their previous one would hardly remove spit from a plate.