Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Distressing... worried about stolen identity. >

Distressing... worried about stolen identity.

Distressing... worried about stolen identity.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:59 PM
JJs
Banned

You really need to get to the bottom of this - one day out of the blue - we got a call from a collection agency about a thousand dollar bill on a credit card - and that was the first we heard of any such bill - had not gotten any bills etc. Isn't it strange that the credit card company couldn't find us to send a bill or find our phone number about a so-called over-due bill but a collection agency had no problem.
Come to find out it was a bill for who-knows-what charged in some south American country and nothing to do with us - two separate collection agencies and a lawyer fee later it was finally resolved but I think it's still on our credit report even tho it was not our bill....
It's amazing that the VICTIMS are always the ones who have to pay - the actual criminals actually do get away with crime....
Old 02-04-2010, 02:11 PM

Absolutely pursue this situation. I had an insurance payment that never got to my dentist. It took 2 yrs to resolve it . . . is was an employee of the insurance company who stole it! When my DH went on disability for surgery it was discovered that someone had used his id and there was no coverage left. It is important to follow it through.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by JJs
You really need to get to the bottom of this - one day out of the blue - we got a call from a collection agency about a thousand dollar bill on a credit card - and that was the first we heard of any such bill - had not gotten any bills etc. Isn't it strange that the credit card company couldn't find us to send a bill or find our phone number about a so-called over-due bill but a collection agency had no problem.
Come to find out it was a bill for who-knows-what charged in some south American country and nothing to do with us - two separate collection agencies and a lawyer fee later it was finally resolved but I think it's still on our credit report even tho it was not our bill....
It's amazing that the VICTIMS are always the ones who have to pay - the actual criminals actually do get away with crime....
My grandpa told me when I was a little fellow never buy anything on credit. And my dad has always said the same thing "If you cant pay for it you dont need it".

I have never had a credit card in my life, and I have never applied for a loan. I pay cash for everything I buy including my house, the farm and my cars.

I think my Grandpa was a man way ahead of his time!

Billy
Old 02-04-2010, 03:27 PM
Power Poster

It's not reality to not have a credit card or loans for American families. Very few can pay cash for a home, cars, or education. No credit score, no rental property will be available, car insurance goes by credit score, credit scores are now the value of a person. Sad but true. So unless a young person/couple wants to live on the farm with mom and dad for years, credit is a have to reality.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:38 PM

This is not about her credit card - just an id number, possibly her driver's license number.

Pursue this until you get satisfaction. Someone has used your id, and the police can track it.

Hope you can take care of it soon.
Old 02-04-2010, 03:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BellaBoo
It's not reality to not have a credit card or loans for American families. Very few can pay cash for a home, cars, or education. No credit score, no rental property will be available, car insurance goes by credit score, credit scores are now the value of a person. Sad but true. So unless a young person/couple wants to live on the farm with mom and dad for years, credit is a have to reality.
You are right about that one, sad but true.

When I first got insurance on my car at 16 I was on my mom and dads policy. As soon as I was out of school I bought my land and shortly there after started building my first home. The insurance company gave me a blanket policy in my name at age 19 with no questions asked. He told me how much it was going to cost me and I paid it. But the agent had been insuring my family since my mom and dad were married in '62. I do not think the internet was even invented when I built my first house, if it was it was just an idea if that.

Now if you want a good paying job they pull a credit report on you also. I was lucky I came up through the company from the ground floor and they never did anything like that when I was hired. I made it all the way to the corporate offices pulling 6 digits a year before I quit my job to be with my family.

Its just sad that a mans merit is based on a number.

But its even worse that you can not even go and buy cold medicine without having to give your life story and DNA and why you ate cereal for breakfast instead of eggs just to buy it. :roll:

And people wonder why I am "Lostn51"...........:lol:

Billy
Old 02-04-2010, 04:20 PM

Let us know what kind of resolution you get............this isn't very funny to have happen to you.
Diana
Old 02-04-2010, 06:01 PM

Misty Marie, please contact the police. They need to know what's happening at Walgreens. It may be happening at other stores that you don't know. Good luck. Let us know what happens.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Power Poster

Yes! Get to the bottom of things right away.

Once a collection place tried to sue my son for an unpaid CC bill. Went to court and they didn't show up! The judge talked to them and told them he had proof the bill had been paid several years before, and (not these exact words) he'd have them arrested if they ever tried it again!

I know they were paid because I paid them for him and had my canceled checks to prove it! HA!
Old 02-05-2010, 08:34 AM
dsj

Hi Misty, sorry to hear that you are going through this. It is very unsettling. My husband has a very popular or common name and we have gone through lots of crazy things because of it. I would talk to the pharmacist and let them know your concerns and find out their policies on protecting their customers from this sort of thing. I hope they are willing to help you.