Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do doctors really know what they're talking about? >

Do doctors really know what they're talking about?

Do doctors really know what they're talking about?

Old 08-22-2010, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by granniebj
I'm starting to wonder. They seem to need a hundred tests, and still don't know whats wrong! Don't get me wrong. I love my doctor! Shes patient and kind. Its just that I don't have insurance, and now I'm in debt beyond belief! It started when I was 45 and had my first heart attack (without insurance). I did have insurance when I had a triple by pass, but it was amazing how much they didn't cover. I've had several major surgeries since then, all without insurance! Guess I'm just alittle depressed because it never seems to end. Now I'm dealing with all this pain from a sciatic nerve, and needing more tests (MRI). Hubby fell off a semi and hurt his back, and I'm almost resentful that workmans comp pays all his medical bills! Hes brought up the subject of how much this MRI is gonna cost. I know he prefers that I don't have it done, but I'm just tired of the pain! I once gave up all my meds because of his remarks about how much they were costing us...big mistake!
Thanks everyone. Guess I just needed to vent!
You vent all you want :) I don't blame you one bit. Even if doctors are doing tests to CYA.... :thumbdown: it is still super expensive for us. :(

When my Dad was going thru chemo, he said the following to his Dr. : Are you a practicing Dr.? His doctor answered yes, why? Dad said, "so you are practicing because you aren't really certain? " Dr. looked at my Dad and said, "You know, you are right. We are human and we are practicing because we don't know everything." I have a lot of respect for that one Dr. who admits that when asked. :thumbup: Most others who just order test after test...not a lot of respect for them :(

Hugs and hope that things improve soon without all the expensive tests and drugs. :)
Old 08-22-2010, 04:16 PM

Sending gentle hugs. I am so sorry that this has become such a burden. I can tell you are hurting and just wish I could do something for you.
Old 08-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Power Poster

Hugs!!!!!!!! I have a nephew that just turned 19 and is a severe Diabetic, has been for 6 years. He just graduated, but with the economy here, he cant find a job, even McDonalds. His insulin is so expensive, but he cant get any help. His Parents have ASKED for free samples, no one will give them any. Its so sad.
I cant understand why medicine is so expensive....people just cant afford it, unless you have great insurance!
Old 08-22-2010, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I do have Medicare insurance. However, I don't always agree with the tests doctors want me to get. An MRI would probably show you have some disk issues, but what are you willing to do about it anyhow. I have had back problems for many years - siatica with pain going down my leg. I've learned that you have to keep the lower back muscles strong & bending & stooping in the garden really helps with this. I see you have a little girl. Picking her up is a no-no. Anything that puts more stress to one side vs. picking up with your knees bent & object directly in front of you will aggravate your back. Carrying a child on your hip will aggravate a back problem.

Gyno doc gave me script for bone density test. My response is that I am not willing to take anything beyond the extra calcium & vitamun D, what purpose would the test be?

Unresolved medical issues can really take a toll on you mentally as well, which lowers your immune system. Hope you get some relief without the MRI. Make sure you are drinking pleanty of water. That also helps my joint issues.
Thanks! Good advice. That darling little angel sitting beside me is my grandaughter!
Old 08-22-2010, 05:20 PM

I'm not saying that all docs are anything. Not all are rich or order unnecessary test, or diagnose wrongly. They spend alot of hard years and should have pay that reflects that. Right now I have a great doc and that is why I'm taking her suggestion to get an MRI. There are bad and good in all professions.
Old 08-22-2010, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

I'm hoping you find out soon what is causing your pain and can get something done about it. Good luck. I'm afraid the new health care will not be what everyone thinks it will be.
Old 08-22-2010, 06:37 PM

It's enough to be sick, much less to have to worry about how to pay medical bills and get prescriptions!
I was diagnosed with CLL (chronic lymphocytic leukemia) in 2008 and had to have surgery to remove my very enlarged (13 pound :shock: ) spleen. I did six rounds of chemo and continue to have biological (immune) treatments at $14K a pop! I am very fortunate that we have excellent insurance and Aflac policies through my hubby's work. I don't know what we would have done without them...hugs and prayers to all of you having difficulties!