Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Do JoAnn Fabric stores have a remnant bin section?

Blog Entries

Question Do JoAnn Fabric stores have a remnant bin section?

I need some small pieces of fabric that I don't normally use for quilting (nylon tricot, glittery polyesters, etc.) for making doll clothes. I don't remember ever seeing a remnant bin when I've been there, but I wasn't looking.

Blog Entries
    Yes they usually have a remnant bin, usually it is 50% off the price
    listed on the label.
    Louise - Ya-ya to Zachary April 13 2015. I collect mugs from the U.S. and around the world. Also collect handmade pincushions, sewing/quilting themed fabrics, and fabric in general.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
    I need some small pieces of fabric that I don't normally use for quilting (nylon tricot, glittery polyesters, etc.) for making doll clothes. I don't remember ever seeing a remnant bin when I've been there, but I wasn't looking.
    I have quite a bit of satin , taffeta, etc that I won't use quilting...if you PM on size pieces and colors I might be able to help you out.

You can buy by the inch if you ask at the cutting table. The remnant bin is usually 50% off the regular price. I always take a peak to see what is there especially since it is next to the threads.
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Blog Entries
    Also, don't forget to ask them if they put out for that day.
    sometimes the real good stuff hasn't been combed thru yet so get a first shot at it.
    My Joanns has 4 bins. one for polar fleece one for upholstery, dress and quilting. although it doesn't always stay that way.
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Blog Entries
    Let me know what and how much you might need. I have a lot of satins, sheers, velvets, laces and such. I might take a little while, but would be happy to share. I made doll clothes for my DD years ago. Mother sewed for public and made formals (for me, daughter, and others) so did I...even a few bridesmaids. I do know there is a lot of pinks left from one wedding!

My JoAnn has a small remnant bin. It is located right by the cutting table.

The prices of remnants at JoAnn's is 50% off the price of the fabric that day. If that particular piece of fabric is on sale, the remnant price will be 50% off of that. A saavy shopper can really do well.

Look behind the cutting area by the patterns. Or at the end of the cutting area.

I have pieces of faux leathers, oilcloth and upholstery fabrics if you could use some. You could make jackets, shoes, pants, etc out of them. Let me know if you could any.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    Walmart and Hobby Lobby have bins also. HL's contains a lot of clothing fabric.

They one near me has a good selection right behind the cutting counter

Suz
    Our FORMER (now closed) Joann's had a section at the back of the store called "88s". $1.88, $2.88. $3.88 etc. I used to check them out first, particularly for the batiks and quilting cottons. I have made "unders" for my sons and was able to find crazy prints which they loved.

Power Poster
    Our Hancock store was moving to a new location last month so I bought remnants for 90% off. A lot of it had a yard or a little more. I had 2 carts full. What a deal.

I have a good sized piece of silver poly knit that I bought for a golf quilt. I'd be glad to share if anyone needs some.

At the JoAnn's near my house, there are remnant bins on the end of the thread gondolas near the cutting table.

Even WalMart has a Bin... I picked up a nice piece of Fake leather look ... and they seem to have other fabric pieces as well...
    Friend who can share your laughter and tears are the only ones you need.

Every store that sells fabrics have a remnant bin. I think some people regularly check the bins ti pick out the kind they want, before anyone else gets there.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Blog Entries
    Wow! I am blown away by the generosity of you QB members! I will individually PM all of you who have offered to share, but at this point I'm a little concerned about postage costs and perhaps taking on more than I can handle right now. We are in the process of getting our huge house ready for sale and I have already gone through the painful process of thinning out my stash of books and fabrics. Most of my remaining quilting items are going into storage bins in the garage. Thought that making doll clothes would give me something to do while we wait for the house to sell, and I'm trying to keep all of the doll things (including the dolls!) limited to a single large tote. I'm really afraid of acquiring more doll fabrics than I can handle, especially since I am also re-acquainting myself with crocheting and knitting so I can make those kinds of doll clothes as well. On the one hand I would love to receive a variety of fabric types for the dolls; on the other hand, it's going to be slow going for me for quite awhile as I chip away at the mountain of housework that needs to be done. It is wonderful to find so many generous people on the board, though. That alone is worth a lot to me!

Blog Entries
    I know our's sell remnants, they don't usually have too many
    Mary

Check out your local thrift shops, Salvation Army, Goodwill, Savers, etc. for cheap clothing in the type of fabric you want. I've bought men's shirts and scrub tops to use in quilts. Wool skirts, pants and jackets for felting projects, wool sweaters for felting...Just a thought.

Good luck on your house sale.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

My JoAnn fabrics does, as does Hancocks, but, they move it every now and again, so if I don't see it in the regular spot, I ask someone.
    Alyce