Do our cats manipulate us?

Old 07-21-2009, 03:04 AM

Pancho does a variety of squeaking and meowing. If he wants more food he keeps up the squeaking when we come into the room and feed him. He evidently thinks we can't hear him but we can. He also follows us from room to room and keeps an eye on our dog Maggie to know where she is at all times.
Old 07-21-2009, 01:29 PM
k3n
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Mr. Bean starts with a basic meow, and progresses to a very annoying and almost ear-piercing yowl if we don't jump to his bidding. If we still won't do what he wants, he scratches the furniture, gets on the counter or (last resort) tries to bite us. (The little shit!)

The difference between DH and me at that point is that DH will do what kitty wants. I throw things at kitty.
:lol:

Barney bites my bare toes to show he loves me!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Power Poster

When we got ready for bed Saturday night, Mr. Bean was climbing the screen and DH thought that he was catching bugs. So he opened the door and let the cat in. ALl over sudden I hear: Mr. Bean NOOOOO! Oh SH** he's got a rat.

Of course the rat was alive and of course Mr. Bean spat it out in the kitchen.

Pat yelled that he's got a bucket but he can't figure out how to get the rat into the bucket. All I can think of is to hand him a flyswatter. Here stand the great white hunters. One with a bucket and a flyswatter, the other (me) barefoot in a T-shirt waving a dish towel. Got the picture?

Eventually Ratatouille heads my way and I throw myself into his path - even caught it by the tail. Unfortunately, DH didn't leave well enough alone. Instead of letting me take it out, he has to put the bucket on it - and the rat has NO trouble escaping......under the fridge.

Now out comes the fridge and the poor rat is screaming - I'm crying, Pat is cursing and the damn cat is yowling for canned food. Pat got the trolly and lifted the fridge letting the rat out. I took Mr. Bean and put him LITERALLY nose to nose with his bounty. The little turd looked at me as if I had just insulted him (and pranced away).

Now we are at last resort and Pat called Heidi our lab/hound mix. She checks out the corner and gets hissed at by the rat who escapes between all our legs. Remember - I am still barefoot and let out an involuntary squeal and jump. The dog turns on a dime - barrels past me (knocks me over) and like greased lightning catches that rodent. Good dog!

Now the cat decides that - well - since it is dead, he might as well eat it.

.......do our cats manipulate us? You tell me.
Old 07-21-2009, 07:55 PM

Great story Mad Quilter. Mice are bac enough, but RATS EEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Why do cats insist on showing their trophies ALIVE to their slaves? The least they could do is KILL them first.
Old 07-22-2009, 03:15 AM
k3n
Power Poster

LOL Martina but I would have wet my pants! I have mice in the henhouse, they sit cheeky as anything, waiting for me to fill the feeder! Barney just sits in the doorway and watches they play! Useless, fat article!
Old 07-24-2009, 09:21 PM

Martina--how funny!! Seriously--you do realize that was a gift of love don't you? LOL
Old 07-25-2009, 09:04 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by kd124
Martina--how funny!! Seriously--you do realize that was a gift of love don't you? LOL
He could love me a lot less for all I care.

Actually, we stopped by the neighbor's house last night. His mama cat just had a litter of four and I am thinking of adding another one (or two) to the frey. AM I CRAZY?

3 of the 4 babies have 6 toes on the front paws and look like they are wearing gloves. One of them snuggled right into my neck - talk about manipulation - straight out of the shoot.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Originally Posted by kd124
He could love me a lot less for all I care.

Actually, we stopped by the neighbor's house last night. His mama cat just had a litter of four and I am thinking of adding another one (or two) to the frey. AM I CRAZY?

3 of the 4 babies have 6 toes on the front paws and look like they are wearing gloves. One of them snuggled right into my neck - talk about manipulation - straight out of the shoot.

ROFL!! :lol: Yep, that little one is saying --take me, take me. Meanwhile, it's thinking ooooohhhhh I could wrap this human around my little finger easily.
Old 07-25-2009, 11:44 AM

I LOVE all the stories here about everyone's cats! Don't you just love how our feline furry babies influence our lives?

Martina, am fascinated about your 6 toed cat...do you know about Ernest Hemingway's cats....heres some info for you...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polydactyl_cat

I love cats and am interested in biology/genetics so have always loved hearing about this...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2006/jul/31/books.usa

Old 07-25-2009, 12:38 PM
Power Poster

Smoky wants to go out. She claws at the door. Smoky wants to come in. She jumps on the air conditioner and claws at the window. I am just a doorman for animals. (oh I didn't mention that sometimes she does this several times in an hour)