do Sharks always whistle?

Old 09-14-2022, 03:38 PM
Power Poster

Default do Sharks always whistle?

I just got delivery of a Shark upright vacuum, a UV850 from Costco. I put it together and started vacuuming, and right away I can hear a high pitched whistling noise. This is right out of the box! I called Shark and the person on the phone had me turn on the vacuum, he listened, and then he told me that the vacuum is operating normally. The high pitched noise is because the suction is so powerful. What???

I can't put up with this noise. If this is truly how the vacuum works, I'll have to return it to Costco. (Luckily I know there won't be a problem there.) But I'm having a hard time believing that all other Shark users put up with this sound. It's continuous, and it's extremely annoying. Have any of you other Shark owners had this experience?
Old 09-14-2022, 06:32 PM

If you google Shark vacuum whistling there's a ton of info, most of it saying there's a problem. This one has some fixes for the noise. Might be helpful https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/f...um-loud-noise/
Old 09-14-2022, 07:42 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom View Post
If you google Shark vacuum whistling there's a ton of info, most of it saying there's a problem. This one has some fixes for the noise. Might be helpful https://www.digitaltrends.com/home/f...um-loud-noise/
I did google the problem, but the thing is that all the articles I found deal with a change in noise. None of them say that the vacuum whistles all the time. My vacuum had the noise as soon as I took it out of the box and turned it on, so it's not related to anything being clogged up or damaged. The guy from Shark said that the whistling is normal. I just want to know if this is true. If it is, I have to decide whether or not I can live with it.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:31 AM
Power Poster

I would take it back. Its annoying enough I need to vacuum much less put up with more annoying while I'm doing it.
Old 09-15-2022, 08:41 AM
Administrator

would anybody like to guess who was trying to figure out how sharks whistle at all?
under water?

ROFLBO
Old 09-15-2022, 09:42 AM
Power Poster

I did think What? when I first read the topic but knew I'd be surprised so I had to read the post. LOL
Old 09-15-2022, 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I did think What? when I first read the topic but knew I'd be surprised so I had to read the post. LOL
LOL. I know, me too! I was hoping about a new discovery about actual Sharks!
Old 09-15-2022, 04:40 PM

LOL! I was going to ask DD-a science teacher about it.

Hope you get the vacuum issue fixed.
Old 09-15-2022, 05:31 PM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
I would take it back. Its annoying enough I need to vacuum much less put up with more annoying while I'm doing it.
Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
would anybody like to guess who was trying to figure out how sharks whistle at all?
under water?
Both these comments had me laughing out loud. 😆

Dunster, I would take it back too. How the Shark guy could tell over the phone that the noise was "normal" is beyond me.

Gotta love Costco's return policy! I returned an air fryer after a year because the display stopped working. I couldn't tell what temperature I was setting it at. The packaging was long gone, but they took it back no problem.

Last edited by Peckish; 09-15-2022 at 05:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2022, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
under water?

ROFLBO
That's why I opened the thread. LOL