Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets >

Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets

Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets

Old 07-01-2010, 03:37 PM

funny topic to read today- today 2 guys in a networking group I belong to made comments to the young chippie I was talking to about how she is so feminine and "put together" so early in the morning. What I am chopped liver? Just because I weight 40 lbs. more and am about 20 years older? I also had my hair done, make up on, jewelry- all the things they pointed out to her.

I just had my hair colored 2 weeks ago- so I don't pay the extra for "highlights". Maybe it was the lack of lipstick....

I do paint my toenails all the time. I like my feet and I hate shoes. So I always wear pretty colors. When I had my Trans Am I wore chrome color to match my car. Now I wear deep red to match the Firebird.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:41 PM

My hair is very long. I have my GGM's Irish hair. Curly and frizzy. It used to be dark brown. It's now more salt and pepper. I see every gray hair as a badge of honor. I earned everyone!!! I have never colored it. I hate the smell. When I was a teen I used to have to help Mom "frost" hers. I always hated it. The last time she asked me to do it, she turned into a bottle blond whether she wanted it or not. She never asked me again. I never learned to use make up, I haven't used nail polish in 25 years, it destroys my nails. I am what I am, warts and all. I must be doing something right, Saturday is our 29th annivesary!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Banned

Been coloring the hair so long I forgot when it started - 30 years ago? WOW! It's now burgundy and loving it! Always do my own, and cut my own hair too.
Paint nails now only once in a while when they are long. Make up all the time.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:44 PM
Power Poster

I dye mine too, its long, and I've been getting grays since I was only 25. No nail polish, I waitress, and my nails are icky. Make up yes, not alot, but I like my blush and lipstick!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:48 PM

I use to streak my hair, but I decided to grow old gracefully. When I steaked my hair, I never went in on time for a touch up, I always had outgrowth, so I decided I was done. I am happy with my choice. Life is so much easier and I get positive comments on my hair.

Ironically, I still get asked if I dye my hair :| .

Clear nail polish, but I wear mascara, liner for evenings, and make up when my tan fades.
Old 07-01-2010, 04:49 PM

I refuse to go gray. It looks good on other people, but I'm just not ready! I get it professionally done every 5-6 weeks. I also get pedicures every 3 weeks or so. I would do it myself, but my arms must have gotten shorter with age because I can't seem to reach my toes anymore :) :) :). Actually, the weight may be why I am so adament about getting my hair done. I figure SOMETHING on this body should look good...
Old 07-01-2010, 04:59 PM

I am a salt/pepper too, now.......and I don't use color...I am sorry, gals, but for some reason, DYE just looks like DYE on any one who is "older"....I don't think I have ever seen anyone who has dyed hair, that really looks natural..I dunno, maybe its just me..........the worst ones are the ones with all the wrinkles and no gray hair, very strange! But then, on the other hand, who cares if it "looks" natural or if it "looks" like a dye job, as long as YOU are happy with it !!That is what matters the most..that you are happy with yourself!
Old 07-01-2010, 05:07 PM
Pam

I started going gray at 22, started coloring at 25. I still don't know if family trait, hubby or being in the USMC made me go gray, but I did! I color now. Every few years I decide to go gray, I let it grow out a couple of inches and go get it cut short, I love short hair.

This last time hubby suggested I should color it, and he is the one that likes white hair! I look 15 years younger with it colored and my salt and pepper is not the pretty kind, just drab.

I also release "the girls" when at home, they are happier that way! I only wear make up if I am going somewhere. I polish toes, but not fingers.
Old 07-01-2010, 05:21 PM
Power Poster

I color mine. It is long and I am just not old enough to have white hair. It doesn't turn gray, it turns white and just looks terrible. I don't care if it looks colored, it is better than white. If it would turn salt and pepper and be pretty, I would leave it. But I am not that lucky.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:31 PM

I get highlights in my hair and get a hair cut every month. Wear make up every day and use clear nail polish.