Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets >
  • Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets

• Do you dye your gray hair & other grooming secrets

Old 07-02-2010, 05:38 PM

I have been blessed with hair that is still brown at 60 (from my dad's side). I prefer to go wash and wear, but use a blower brush to tame the frizz. I get a pedicure about every 4-5 weeks because I can no longer do my own. Quit shaving years ago, but I wear pants to work and long skirts to church and my hubby doesn't mind. No polish. Like someone else said, I feel like my nails are suffocating when I have polish on. No makeup. Like many of you, I am who I am. I hope my character is more important than my looks.
    Old 07-02-2010, 06:53 PM

I'm 60 and have been coloring my hair for about 10 years. About a year ago I decided to stop. Just got tired of the process and cost. Guess what...I actually like it. It sort of looks like it's bleached. I was originally a mousy blonde. I have also decided to let it grow. I read an article asking, "Why do older woman always wear their hair short." It was on a woman's site on the net. Also, it said, "Men like more hair a woman". Hey....I'll try anything. LOL Kidding!!!!!! Not looking.
    Old 07-02-2010, 07:34 PM

I've never colored my hair and do not plan to do so. I'm happy w/my hair. In fact, I get a lot of compliments from men stating that they wish that their wives would just let their hair go grey.
    Old 07-02-2010, 08:22 PM

I inherited the white gene from my maternal grandparents and started turning in high school. Kept it that natural color (totally white by 35) until after the divorce at 46.
    Then started dying it cause no one wanted to date what the thought was an old gray haired lady.
    Still having it colored at 63.
    Old 07-02-2010, 11:06 PM

At 63, 99 and 9/10% of my hair is still very dark. However, the rest of me looks all of 63 plus, so I do a reverse color on my hair because the lighter frosting makes my wrinkles looks better. Before I started doing this, people thought I dyed my hair dark anyway and didn't believe me when I said no. Now I'm proud to have my dark roots show. LOL
    Old 07-03-2010, 05:49 AM

I do color my hair, but hate to have to do it. I look like my mother and I'm hoping someday to turn the beautiful silver gray that she was. Haven't gotten there yet. Oh! and I have my nails done since my daughter was 14 and we went for a mother/daughter nail treatment. I kept it up and she didn't. That I won't give up and pedicures once in a while.
    Old 07-03-2010, 06:48 AM

No way..... I trust nature is beautiful and knows best....
    Old 07-03-2010, 08:00 AM

I used to cover the gray, but, My hair is salt and pepper and still a bit of brown. I've been complimented on the color and I love it now. I am a grandma and I am not afraid to show those gray's
    Old 07-03-2010, 08:10 AM
    rb.

From my teens, up until I had my first baby at 29, I coloured my hair (lots of colours...my hair was a wardrobe accessory LOL), had very long nails that were always done, and makeup just to go to the mailbox. Once I started having kids, dye went out the window, along with nail polish and makeup. Just no time. The grey started popping up about 38 (I'm 44 now), and I loved it. Nature's sparkles. I loved the amount, the placement (spots of it, right where I part my hair for bangs), the colour and shine. Then I discovered that my poker-straight, exceptionally fine, very thin hair benefited in volume by dyeing it. Been doing it for a year now, and look like I have a proper amount of hair again. I miss my sparkles, but I love the new volume.

I still only wear makeup once or twice a year. Nails will NOT be done ever again because I now have a horrible reaction to the smell of nail polish and remover. When one of my girls use it anywhere in the house I know right away, and have to run around opening all the windows...even when it's -20.
    Old 07-04-2010, 10:38 AM

Back in the 70s I decided that I wanted to try being a blond. The next day we played golf and my hair turned green in the sun!!!!! I had her dye it back as close as possible to my natural color. That was the extent of my trying to look different.