Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you freecycle where your at >

Do you freecycle where your at

Do you freecycle where your at

Old 07-05-2010, 09:06 PM

We have freecycle in the area. People offer things the no longer need or want that are still of useable condition. No money in involved. Also you can post wants/needs & I suppose people help you with those if they can. I mostly have just placed offers. Never succeeded in the want end of it but I guess some do.
Old 07-05-2010, 09:09 PM

Yep, I do love freecylcling here in my mountain town in eastern Oregon.. have given away SO much extra stuff I do not need, or want, and sometimes find treasures , too.. We do not have any mall or stores here besides a super Walmart to speak of, so instead of traveling 3 hours to the nearest mall, Freecycle sometimes fits the bill in finding things..( including fabric, and such, because most of the time ( like now), I can not purchase any because of hospital/surgical bills coming in fast and furiously!
Old 07-05-2010, 10:19 PM

I use freecycle here as well ... Helped me downsize a lot of my stuff b4 I moved. I've also managed to save 5 computers from being dumped and found them new homes for ppl who dont have the extra cash to go and buy one.

Also been lucky enough to get some stuff I've needed. Its a great way to stretch the dollar although occasionally there is the odd person that gets thru who gets stuff to resell on to others :(
Old 07-05-2010, 11:19 PM

I haven't had good experiences with my local group. Lots and lots of no-shows... so I gave up trying.
Old 07-06-2010, 03:45 AM

I love freecycle! It seems to come in spells though...for awhile nothing and then the motherload. I got our woodstove off freecycle several years ago, have gotten fabric and several other things. And oh the stuff I have gotten rid of!
Old 07-06-2010, 03:53 AM
Power Poster

i have joined freecycle in my area, i read the posts often and it seems to be going ok, small (3 or 4 adds a day, giving and requesting) but it is a great program. we are planning to finally clean out the garage next weekend and i'm sure i will have plenty to offer ;)
so far nothing i want has caught my eye...i'm trying to weed, not grow but sooner or later there is bound to be something i can't live without.
Old 07-06-2010, 04:17 AM
Power Poster

I think its a great thing, keeps stuff out of landfills!
Old 07-06-2010, 08:29 AM
Power Poster

I know we have one but I have never tried it.
Old 07-06-2010, 08:43 AM

I have freecycled in calif. nv. and now ut. Not near as many posting in ut because I live in a smaller town but I think its a great way to recycle. I get alittle upset w/ the no shows sometimes but since I have a carport its pretty easy to just state its in the carport w/ your name on it but also state if the item isn't p/u by the date you tell me it goes to the next person on the list. I have also been known to just place larger items in my driveway w/ a big free sign on it and usually gone within hrs.
Old 07-06-2010, 11:54 AM
Power Poster

Thanks for this information. I had never heard of it before.