do you neti?

Old 11-11-2009, 07:35 AM

As a kid I used to get horrendous head colds. My mom used to use the nose syringe filled with warm salted water to help the blockage. Worked every time.
Old 11-12-2009, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by rivka
Well, I just tried my neti pot last night for the first time. It was weird and uncomfortable, but I managed to survive. It gave me a heck of a sinus headache, but I woke up this morning feeling a lot better than I have in a while.
Never gotten a headache after using my neti pot (affectionately called "snot-pot") either. Only feel better. I use it more in the winter to help keep moisture in the sinuses, but also after working in the yard or other dusty place. It's amazing the crud one gets out of there.

Additionally, got an email attachment the other day about how to help keep H1N1 at bay. Neti potting was the top of the list in conjunction with a saline gargle. Just FYI

M
Old 11-12-2009, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

I picked up a brochure for seasonal flu and other afflictions and it said that we catch things from droplets, on surfaces and in the air.
If you use something to cleanse your sinuses and gargle to cleanse your throat...(of course you would expel, or spit out from these orifices)...it might get rid of them before they have had time to be absorbed into your system.
It also reccommended blowing your nose, several times a day, even though you don't need to, to rid yourself of anything you might have inhaled.
Is this why some men, spit so much? not married to one of those thank goodness. :lol:
Old 11-12-2009, 04:57 PM

I have used a neti pot for a couple of years now. I have had sinus infections and headaches for years. This works better than anything!! I don't love using it, when I have some sinus pressure above my eyes, it hurts when the water goes in. But the relief I get is almost immediate. I have always gotten headaches when I use bleach for cleaning, so I don't use if often, but sometimes it is the only thing that will work. I tried using my neti pot once after using bleach and the relief was instant. I will add that I too was afraid to use it at first.
Old 11-16-2009, 10:50 AM

I started using one after seeing Dr. Oz too, and I find that if I use it in the shower when I first get in, then I am totally done draining by the time I am finished and then no one else sees me either lol. It works well for me because I am immune challenged with lung disease and the drippy sinus makes me cough 3 times as much........ so now I have that problem under control I feel much better! :)
Old 11-16-2009, 11:10 AM

Never put alcohol in a neti pot. Go see on youtube. :0D

I sent my deployed bf a neti pot. He was super sick for months. You can imagine how hard it is to be sick and at war. He didn't use it. He did bring it home. So, I have a pot that's seen Iraq.

In the past, I've used the spray bottles you can get at the drugstore. I haven't used anything since I had a large tumor removed from my sinus. That would be bad.

I think they work great. Glad to see them catching on.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:08 PM

My DH has rhinitis, sinus infections, seasonal allergies, headaches, you name it. He has had sinus surgery, used steroid sprays, saline sprays, and takes sinus meds (OTC) daily, etc.

I have sesonal allergies and sinus infections.

We started using a product called, "NeilMed Sinus Rinse"
You pour 4 oz. of distilled water into this plastic jar, pour in the saline rinse, put the top on, put in nostril (don't worry, the tip is large so only goes in a bit), tilt head to side you have tip in, and squeeze. Don't hold your breath, breath normally, and relax. Switch tip to other side and repeat. Switch sides again, and again. Bottle should be empty. Rinse bottle and store.
Gently inhale, then gently blow your nose. I do this every morning just before showering. Has cut my infections by more than half.

When hubby does it, his infections are cut in half, too. He has fewer headaches (which are an everday occurence from sinuses) unless he is using this product. Even the steroid sprays are no longer doing what they are suppossed to. I think he is becoming immune.

Anyway, Wally World carries it for about $8.00 I think. Enough in the pkg. for a month. Don't forget the distilled water.

I have gag reflex problems. Before ever using it, I thought I would choke to death. Try it. Sorry so long.
Old 11-20-2009, 10:24 PM

There is also the plastic squeeze bottle version that does the same thing. Living in dry, dusty Bakersfield, with several allergies, I have found it to be really great in irrigating my dried out sinuses. It really, really soothes and washes all the dust and allergens out.

Oh, yes, that is what you just described!!! :shock: :lol:
Old 11-20-2009, 10:43 PM

I have done sinus flushing for several years and it the only thing I found that kills infection and causes no harm to your body. I use Ayer or Sinus buster kit.

I actually asked my husband for a stainless steel neti pot for Christmas. He nearly passed out...LOL But I am serious.Oh well
Old 11-21-2009, 05:11 AM

:lol: some would say it beats a toaster!!! :roll: