Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do you plant flowers? What kind are you planning to put out this year?

Blog Entries

Exclamation Do you plant flowers? What kind are you planning to put out this year?

I will probably stick with mostly annuals this year. I love Petunias but try to pick a few other things too. I may even do some inexpensive perennials-as-annuals (we're doing all containers and don't think perennials will overwinter well in them). What do you plant?

I love straw flowers, geraniums, inpatients, and marigolds for annuals. Although I don't plant marigolds close to the deck as they attract bees!
    Have a great day sewing and remember to "not sweat the small stuff"!!

We've learned to work with the low light in our yard and have found that shade-lovers do best. So for us, impatiens, begonias, coleus, hosta, pansies, white geraniums do best. We have a few spots that will foster petunias, but not the zinnias, snaps or sunflowers that I love! We do containers, too, these days. Seems easier to manage, both planting and maintenance. What a nice topic to think about this morning! It's 14* here!!!

I've had red geraniums in the small front porch baskets for years. The hard cold this year took em. I planted red petunias in them this year. I always try to put red flowers in these baskets for the hummers. The one geranium I have will be placed outside soon.

For sunny areas I love zinnias, purple coneflowers, Texas star hibiscus, sun coleus, for shady I love caladiums, elephant ears and hostas.
    Texas Sunshine, piney woods of NE Texas

My DH does all the planting. I keep a couple pots of herbs on the porch but he handles all the flowers. It's his 'thing'.

yes, usually they would be planted already but this year is different as I lost my few veggies to a hard freeze a couple of weeks ago -- so now, I plan to plant some replacement plants and some colorful impatiens on my patio in pots since before I know it, the hot summer will be here in se TX
    diane

I HOPE to get some geraniums planted in planter so I have something LIVE growing on my porch. Nothing but cement in the senior apts that I now reside at. Good thing because all I could grow were geraniums and weeds !!!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

I can hardly wait to get planning how many plants I need this spring. I usually put out about 120 impatiens, 40 petunias, 12 coleus, 8 geraniums, and hope my hostas (20) will come back. I winter four big pots of elephant ears in the upstairs bathroom (DGD calls them "trees") that I will set out on the patio when it gets warm enough. I am so looking forward to sitting on the patio watching the hummingbirds. Which reminds me that next week I need to put out a container of sugarwater for the first arrivals. This said with an inch of snow on the ground today.

Blog Entries
    A favorite annual of mine is nasturtiums. You can easilystart them indoors. They take a while to fill in spaces in the flowerbed, but come July through September they fill in great in my neck of the woods. They tolerate heat and dryness very well. My favorite variety is Peach Melba.
    Don't worry spider.
    I keep house
    casually.
    ---Basho
    Nothing's too small...I love miniatures.

I like all flowers but try to stick to lilies that return every year. My Husband usually gets me an annual in a hanging basket for Mother's Day. With our hot dry summers keeping them watered is almost impossible. I don't really need more jobs.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Well, flowers here are a couple months away! My daughter got me 2 big planters for Christmas, and I'm going to put pink geraniums in them. I like to see them from the kitchen window. We have perennials that come up too, poppies, roses, irises, tulips, black eyed susan, daisies, cone flowers. Can't wait!
    Lori

Last year we built our new house on 1.5 acres, and the summer was spent moving and fixing the old house to sell. This year, we will begining the process to landscape the property. Yesterday we went to the Home & Garden show to get ideas and talk to landscape companies. Wh have some large mounds of dirt left over from excavation and want to have a plan before we move it around. We did get 9 blueberry plants from a nursury that had a booth. We got varities from early, mid and late season. I will really miss the blueberry plants left behind at the old house and the sooner we plant new ones here, the sooner hwe have berries again. We will be doing it ourselves an stages, probably 4-5 years since we both still work. First in flowers is beds in front for the few plants I brough with me in pots.
    Kim
    So many hobbies ... So little time
    private pilot, quilter, vintage sewing machine addict, silversmith, lapidary

Quote Originally Posted by sweet View Post
    I've had red geraniums in the small front porch baskets for years. The hard cold this year took em. I planted red petunias in them this year. I always try to put red flowers in these baskets for the hummers. The one geranium I have will be placed outside soon.
    Almost lost my geraniums to the frost this winter,but I noticed that they had set some seeds, so I gathered them up and spread them on some seedling mix, well now I have 4 very small seedlings that I plan to put outside very soon. Check to see if your dead plants have set any seeds, you may have some very nice plants from last year.

Blog Entries
    I plant a little of everything, I have a bunch of perennial gardens, some I add some annuals to every year because I want more long lasting color. My very favorite is lilies, I have some day lilies but I put those in places I want a lot of vegetation. The Asian lilies are wonderful long bloomers, smell amazing and I love making beautiful arrangements with them.

We live in the woods so I plant impatiens and begonias because of all the shade. In the garden in full sun we plant sunflowers and zinnias. We have never gotten a sunflower because when they grow to about 3 feet and get their first leaves the deer dine on them.

Ohhh those darn deer, they get me every time although I did get sun flowers last year. Finally resorted to a fence. Guess my favorite is marigolds, I seem to border everything with them. They bloom all summer and add their bright gold, yellow and red to even the gloomiest day. Petunias are my next favorite and I have hanging baskets of them every where for the hummers. By the way, did you know there is a website that tracks the hummers progress north this time of year. I don't know address but google probably does. I can't wait for spring to get here so I can get out in the garden, I know it is there somewhere under the two plus feet of snow on the ground. Near zero again last night, am getting impatient with this cold. Back to the sewing machine, take my mind off the cold.
    Your mind is a garden,
    Your thoughts are seeds.
    You can grow flowers,
    Or you can grow weeds.

Love the Four O' Clocks. They reseed themselves and you get a lot of beauty from them after most of the spring flowers are done looming. They seem to thrive most anywhere.

I have perennials..let Mother Nature take care of them. She is better than I. Once I plant them they are on their own and lo and behold every year there they are...hostas,day lilies, tulips, my magnolia tree, rose of Sharon bushes, roses,butterfly bush, flox, tall grasses, irises, And last but not least my lilac bushes- Kim,oriental,and old fashioned.....each year I try to find something else to add to the " fun". When we moved here 11 yrs ago there were what I know as an annual...can't think of the name, but sort of look like colored popcorn along one side of house..so in fall after frost, I pulled them out, seeds must have fallen into bed..next spring little green heads and again a crayon box of color that summer..so each fall I pull, shake and get a return visit from those lovely annuals.....oh yes, one hanging basket of fuschia for my hummingbird visitor.........

For my deck and front porch I pot geraniums in all the bright colors I can find, mostly reds and hot pinks. In the gardens to ward off bugs I plant sunflowers and marigolds. Been told basil is good to ward off bugs in the garden too so might throw some of it in the big garden as well as in pots. I'm trying to get to a point of having to replant stuff every year as I age another year. I've already started my seed pods indoors for planting outdoors in May/June.
    Suz in Iowa
    Designer EPIC, Brother XR3140
    Babylock Evolve, Innova 26" LS, MQR
    ProQ Designer, EQ7, Embird

Love this topic as I am excited for spring. I have many, many hosta, columbine, cone flowers, day lillies, yarrow, Dianthis, Coleus, daffodils, Astilbe, bleeding heart, ferns, and last year I went to New Holland, Mich and bought some tulips bulbs, planted them different ways to see if the 'varmits' will stay away from them and let them live. Have Iris, roses and I love coral bells, hen and chicks, peony bushes, I could go on but won't - I belong to a garden club. Am going to try planting herbs and other things in old tires this year. Also have given away a small round grain bin and the bottom is sandy. I added a bit of black dirt last spring to a small area and planted 3 strawberry plants. WOW they did well so I will plant more strawberries and some watermellon.

I do a lot of gardening. Each year I pick one thing that is different. This year I purchased petunia seeds. i put these in containers.

Needless to say, it was like buying fabric. I need one of these, and one of those......
    Renea

A quilting I will go......

www.somethinginthemaking.blogspot.com

Power Poster
    Blog Entries
    I only plant bushes. Planted couple flower beds one year and fought with them and animals who loved to sleep in them and neighborhood cats who loved to pee in them and kill them. I have an aloe plant (coral variety), honey suckle (coral variety) and rose bush that grows like a weed but no one can figure why it won't bloom (for the last 3 years). We have red photinia. That's it.

This year I plan on planting a few veg. Around my flowers. Our HOA said we are not allowed to plan a garden. I want fresh off the plant food. A tomatoes plant here, green peppers there. Cumcumbers mixed in with some lettuce. My space is small but I think I can make it work.

Blog Entries
    We have shade on our big porch, so I plant impatiens, coleus, spider plants, and ferns in planters and hanging planters. Our deck is sunny, so geraniums, petunias, other sun-lovers go into those planters. I winter the geraniums in the basement. Some of them are 15 years old. I need some suggestions for other sun-lovers - especially some that will 'trail' out of my planters. We lost a BIG part of a maple that shaded the deck a couple years ago. Before that, I planted shade-lovers in the deck planters.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast