Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Do you save boxes and bags?

I have boxes that I have been using to collect recyclables that have been around for at least 10 years; maybe 20. They have Duck tape at the top to hold the flaps down, or maybe up. When I go to recycling, they know to dump my boxes out and put the box back into my trunk.

I try not to take a bag at the store if it's only an item or two. I have my own grocery bag. This one has been going for 30 years. I got in 1990. I get a nickle every time I use it! It goes into the wash machine every once in a while.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Yes! To my great dismay! I can make myself recycle ordinary cardboard boxes, but I have a collection of attractive tin boxes and small pretty boxes that have just accumulated, despite my best intentions! A shelf in my home office is full of them.

I also have far too many reusable cloth bags (totes)!

Our grocery store is not supplying bags any longer. I made large denim bags about 30 years ago and they are still going strong. They wash well, and I was careful to finish all the seams, so no raveling. Our checkout boys frequently comment on the bags and I laughingly tell the guys that the bags are older then they are.

I triple or quadruple the plastic bags for my cats litter with the exception of summer when I use ziplock bags. I don't save boxes as I order them from the post office. I do mostly flat-rate shipping.

We no longer can recycle things; I don't know what we'll do. Guess we'll have to get a "burn barrel" again. I have always tried to avoid having anything to recycle, but I am going to have to get creative when I need to throw stuff away. Sometimes, I have flattened boxes and taped them together and put them out for trash men to pick up. I haven't figured out a solution yet this time, though.

I save bags, both plastic and paper, and give them to a resale shop to use. Since she also mails things out ( online listings), I save the packing papers, etc. for her to use for mailings.

Our cat's favorite place to sleep is in a Banana box from Costco. We had an old wheeled desk chair from a thrift store. DH removed the seat and replaced it with a plywood platform, put an edge on so the box would not slide off. Put an old bed pillow in the box, adjusted the height and rolled it against the wall under a large window. He leaps into the box, then goes onto the window ledge.
    Outside the side entrance door is a small patio table of the type used to set drinks or potted plants on. Under that table is just enough room for a cardboard box that is a snug fit for the cat. He likes to curl up in that box if there is no one available to let him into the house. The box protects him from rain and wind. He also uses it as a refuge from unwelcome visitors, such as feral cats that show up around the time that people in the area are setting off fireworks. There will often be a showdown to decide who gets the box.
    I use a medium to large sized box to store flattened cartons and boxes in until they can be taken to the recycle pickup in the next town, a distance of about 7 miles from our house.
    I do save the pretty bags for gifts, storing them in a large sterilite plastic box along with wrapping paper and gift tags.

Banana peels, potato peelings, egg shells, and coffee grounds all get composted and returned to the flower beds. I even scrape out the keurig cups and throw the coffee grounds into the flower beds. I do a lot of things that other people think is silly. I figure that is their problem, not mine.
    A very dumb thing I did in "saving" was to put wood ashes from the stove onto the ground around a huge red rhododendron. That killed the plant. I just can't get the difference between acid and alkaline straight in my head.

Bearisgray, you verbalize some very interesting thoughts.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-11-2019 at 01:24 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

since I sell online, I do save boxes and padded envelopes. My neighbor bought a couple pieces of furniture recently and I scored Huge pieces of bubble wrap!!

Most of what I use for shipping, I buy new though - poly mailers -- and get free PM boxes from the PO. Big pile of them behind my door at all times.

I used to be the kind of person who never threw out a twist-tie. Then in a move, I got rid of them all and found myself needing one and I didn't have one!! My worst nightmare. I also switched to all plastic clothes hangers and had a hard time getting a wire one when I needed one.
    Last edited by QuiltnNan; 06-11-2019 at 01:25 PM. Reason: shouting/all caps

Quote Originally Posted by institches33 View Post
    Still remember Erma Bombeck writing about her mother saving boxes, bags and wrapping paper. Her writing was hilarious and I still miss her.
    Me, too, institches33!

I thought I was the only "box hoarder". Glad there are so many others .... now I don't feel so bad. I moved several years ago and it killed me to take some of my smaller boxes to the recycling center.

Do you think this type of saving is a result of "age?"
    Carol

Lightbulb Clear plastic salad/fruit/egg containers work great for..

Quote Originally Posted by bearisgray View Post
    I do -

I think it's kind of silly - and definitely a space taker-upper - to save as many of them as I do.

But every once in a while, one of my boxes does come in handy!

I hardly ever save banana peels, potato peelings, gum wrappers, etc.

I save the clear plastic containers from the grocery store. They work great for storing fabric and thread. The smaller ones like tiny tomatoes come in, work well for organizing thread I am using for a certain project. Larger salad containers hold fabric for a work in progress or fabric scraps of a certain color/size. (charm squares or candy squares). The egg containers hold my embroidery thread spools and stack well. The storage ideas are unlimited. I sometimes bring them to my guild meetings to give them away.

Blog Entries
    No boxes but gift bags here.
    "You must do the thing you think you cannot do"....E. Roosevelt

Sharon
    Yorkville, IL

There are certain boxes that I do save. Mostly the very small and then there are the boxes that are just right to package a quilt in when giving it as a gift. Those boxes are like striking gold to me. I also save boxes that are the right size to store odd canning jars in for storage. I find I am discarding all the rest after awhile, especially after the holidays.

I do have some small and medium boxes saved and I do save gift bags if they are in good condition. The boxes i use to send gifts to my sisters who live in another state. It is ok to save this things, but within limits. But please, do not store your fabric in cardboard boxes, actually anything. Use bins. If, Heaven forbid, there is a fire, cardboard and paper, it all goes. A plastic bin will smolder and you have a better chance of saving what you have stored. I don't have anything stored in the house. It is in the storage shed.

When I read Anniedeb's comment about her MIL ironing wrapping paper, it made me think of my MIL who carefully, so carefully took the tape off of wrapping paper so she could reuse it. It took her forever to unwrap a gift and drove all of us crazy.

Nope, I use cloth bags for groceries, recycle all boxes. Walmart will take back their plastic bags, Thrift store will also take them. As far as boxes they do attract bugs, plus they all start to smell after a while. If I order something from Amazon I save the box for a few days to make sure the item works and decide if I'm keeping it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2