Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Do You?

Do you give a tip to your hairdresser? And what about a Christmas gift? I always give my hairdresser what I believe is a generous tip (more than 20%) so I don't usually give her a Christmas gift. Am I being cheap?

Super Member Luv Quilts and Cats's Avatar
    I would like to tip and used to until I lost my job. I have a new job now, but the pay is way less than what I used to make, so I still don't tip. I will give her a tip at Christmas. My hairdresser does well, takes two or three trips a year so I don't think my tips is missed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
    Do you give a tip to your hairdresser? And what about a Christmas gift? I always give my hairdresser what I believe is a generous tip (more than 20%) so I don't usually give her a Christmas gift. Am I being cheap?
    I do the same ... I only give a Christmas gift if I have an appointment right before Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbielinks
    I tip each time I go the recommended 20%. As far as Christmas, it depends on the year. If I have had a good year I do alot more "giving" but this year I know I won't be giving her anything extra but a card. The only extra I will probably be able to do this year (and I NEVER miss a year no matter what) is the toys for tots in our area :D I just love the thought of those little ones with their Santa gifts...he-he-he :D

I tip 20% for haircuts, perms. I don't go too often so I don't give a Christmas gift to her. This reminds me to make an appointment for a perm. May in Jersey

I don't have a hairdresser.

My father used to leave two bottles of scotch on the garbage cans for the trash men at Christmas. They never left over trash can area messy either. :)

I don't tip my hairdresser because she owns the shop. Plus, she just opened a new shop and went up $8 on her prices. Geesh.

Blog Entries
    I tip at each appointment - more than the 20% - nice haircut - nice lady.

Don't do gifts at Christmas for service-type people either but this year I may give 'something' to our mail lady who delivered the 50 packages from the recent 2 1/2" swap.

I do tip at least 20% but I only go ever 2 or 2 1/2 mos. This hairdresser is new to me so I don't know if I will give at Christmas time or not. If I do, it will be a gift card.

I tip my hairdresser 20% - 25%, and don't usually give anything extra at X-mas.

bj
    The only "service" folks I give a gift to at Christmas are the couple who clean my house. I don't have a hairdresser. I cut my own hair and don't color or perm.

I dont visit a hairdresser freq but when I do, I do tip... If we have a good repore, I will take her a hand made ornament or trinket for Christmas IF I have appt around that time of year...

this is funny, just had DH trim my hair today. I'll ask him if he wants a tip!!

Blog Entries
    i always tipped and gave her coasters for xmas.

I tip all year 'round, but also give a cash gift at Christmas.

I get a haircut about every 2 months and tip 20% at that time...no extra for Christmas...

Blog Entries
    I give a tip and i also make our Dr.and the nurse's something this year hubby is making them a Primtive Church and secarty's get a Pumpkin Roll.God loves a cheerful giver (:)

My husband cuts my hair now (has done since we met). If you see the same person each time and they do a really good job a tip is a nice thing to do. Maybe if you can manage it, a very small Christmas gift would be appropriate, but if things are tight, she/he will understand.

If you are giving in excess of 20 Percent you are very generous. If you would feel wrong not giving a Christmas gift (small remembrance) then give one. You are already giving more than the norm each time you see your hairdresser so I wouldn't think Christmas is necessary unless it would really bother you.

I tip 20% all year, but increase it to 25 or 30% at my last appt. before Christmas. I don't tip anyone else. We are in FL in winter and VT in summer, so I usually bring back a small gift for our mail carrier. She's super about taking care of our mail. I don't give her anything at Christmas unless I'm baking.

I am very lucky. My hairdresser is my daughter-in-law. I think you should "give" whatever you fell comfortable doing. Don't let the Holiday season put pressure on you. Anything given should be from the heart

Blog Entries
    I hate feeling obligated to give a "gift"....it becomes a tax then!

I cut my own hair most of the time, or go to one of the cut rates...I tip over 20%, I figure that no one's going to get rich off of me for no more than I go...nor is it going to break me...

I'll probably catch a lot of flak for this but I think tipping has gotten out of hand. It used to be that people would get a tip for exceptional service but now it seems like they expect a tip simply for doing their jobs. It also seems to me that everyone on the planet expects a tip -- mailman, hairdresser, paper boy, etc. I tip for exceptional service (I have given a waitress a 100% tip because she was beyond great) but I do not tip for poor or ordinary service. If you want to give a tip, go ahead but don't feel obligated.

If you have a good long running relationship, then give a gift or send a card. Had a relative who received a ton of cards (often with gift certs) and small wrapped gifts. She really appreciated it and always did something special for her clients, too.

If you aren't really invested in the relationship, skip the gift.

My Hubby cuts my hair. The only tip I give him is " don't take any wooden nickels". Very old saying.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast