Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do You Think This Fad Will Catch On? >

Do You Think This Fad Will Catch On?

Do You Think This Fad Will Catch On?

Old 06-08-2017, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
that's hysterical!!! if you wear them out, I bet someone will ask where you got them.being it looks grey, they are more attractive. i dare you to wear them outside, again
They will make their "out-of-the-house" debut at the quilting bee tomorrow. I wonder if anyone will say anything?
Old 06-08-2017, 06:44 AM

When I teach students apparel sewing, I have 3 first timer rules. You read the pattern completely thru, you take the time to do all your measurements correctly and alter the paper pattern accordingly and then you follow the directions in order 1,2,3 etc. without skipping ahead. The second time you can do it in whatever order you want. We get so excited about sewing things, we tend to get ahead of ourselves and then we make the mistakes. I have been known to mis-cut or mis-sew items to this day! Having said that, I think your pants look great!! Happy accident!
Old 06-08-2017, 06:50 AM
Power Poster

Great idea!!!!! I might try this on purpose one day!!!!!
Old 06-08-2017, 07:45 AM

They look very nice and you should wear them.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:05 AM

Love your sense of humor and also the pants!
Old 06-08-2017, 08:12 AM

some people pay a lot of money to buy clothes that are unique! wear them proudly!
Old 06-08-2017, 08:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by JENNR8R View Post
Recently I've been trying to learn how to sew garments. In Intermediate School I was forced to take Home Economics instead of Shop. I had no clue how to sew a dress together and had to ask the teacher for instructions at each step. When the dress was finished, it was sewn inside out. I wore it a few times anyway but decided sewing was not for me! Fast forward 50 years, and I thought I'd give it another try.

I had the bright idea to piece some leftover fabric together to make some pants. One problem was that the pieced fabric only fit the pattern on the front around the knee and not the back where it wouldn't be so noticeable. I sewed a contrasting fabric strip on to hide the seam to solve that problem.

Then... not knowing how to lay the pattern on the fabric correctly before cutting, I managed to cut one leg inside out and the other leg right side out. There was no more fabric to correct it so I sewed it together anyway for the practice. I guess some things never change. Who knows, maybe I've started a new fad! I think I'm going call them my designer pants.
Actually.....thats really cute.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:21 PM

they make a lot more sense than the horrific "designer jeans" that are being sold at Neiman-Marcus for 4-500 dollars, with see-through vinyl knees, fake mud ground into them, and detached "legs" that are held onto the jeans by garters. you can just tell your gang that you're designing for N-m, now, and they'll be in the next catalog...
Old 06-11-2017, 05:00 AM

It's all a matter of choice, my choice is, I would wear them. There again, that's why I've sewn my own wardrobe for years and years. No one else will ever walk in wearing your outfit. We all know Hawaiian fabrics are bright and beautiful. Our son has lived there close to 20 years now.

I've noticed his shirts, many times, are made with the wrong side of the fabric as the outside of the garment. Still gorgeous, however, a bit more subdued for the male who doesn't want the wild, bright, crayon colors and pop out flowers. Your way is an excellent way to use larger pieces of left over fabric to make your own fabric. And color block clothing has been around for years. Looking forward to seeing your next piece of artwork.