Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you think this is worth $300,000??? >

Do you think this is worth $300,000???

Do you think this is worth $300,000???

Old 10-19-2016, 05:32 AM
Power Poster

Well my guild is having a fundraiser and the profits are not going to a disaster relief or a charity. Should every fundraiser be only for that purpose?
Old 10-19-2016, 06:05 AM

You'd think some of the Hollywood big-wigs who are supposed to care about stuff like this would have them restored. After all, it's helping to preserve their history.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:37 AM
Power Poster

The money will be given by patrons, the shoes are in no danger. But knowing marketing, to make it a public goal will enforce the fact the museum is actively trying to preserve and everyone can be a part of saving an iconic part of film history. Publicity will increase the funds too. It's a win win.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:39 AM

I thin that they should be left as is....when Judy got done wearing them
Old 10-19-2016, 06:39 AM

I am going to anger a few people, sorry.
The museum has millions of artifacts. Most are never seen by the public because they have to be stored, away from air, sunlight, the elements. This donation money will be used to research ways to contain these shoes in a safe environment that will slow the deterioration process. Can this process be used in the future....for maybe our quilts and fiber "art" that are now not seen in the museum because of said deterioration? Can this process be used in other situations, say the medical/pharmaceutical industry.....? Research for one problem, may discover answers to other problems.

Our most treasured pieces of history....our Constitation, Bill of Rights, and Declaration of Independence were all in the same situation. Through the same "waste of money, Preservationists determained a way to protect and preserve those most valuable documents of our country. Because of that research, they are now on display for all of us to see, read and be proud of. And safe for future generations.

I see no reason why the museum should not look to the public to secure these funds. They are not asking for tax money, they are asking for donations. My elected employees in Washington steal enough of my tax money for their projects and wasteful" spending. And they don't ask, not even nicely and what for. They demand and confiscate my money.

As far as donating to "disaster victims", it is a shame my elected employees send my money to "help" other countries, when the governments of those countries are so corrupt that the funds are funneled into their (personal) coffers and not used to help their own people, whom I thought the help was intended for.

Maybe we should question with those kind of issues, not the use of some else's freely DONATED money to preserve a pair of historic (in someone's eyes) shoes.
Old 10-19-2016, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl View Post
Yeah... totally wasteful and stupid. Think how far that money could go to rebuilt Haiti after the hurricane... or build hospitals in Africa. There are a ton of things more important than restoring old movie props.

The generations who even care about this are dwindling... just another case of Hollywood's over-inflated opinion of itself.
How about donating money to the millions of people in America who are homeless or just living at the poverty level.
Money could be better spent on "other" things. How many people in the future are even going to know about the movie or the part that the ruby slippers played in it. I can hear them saying "Judy who ???". IMHO
Old 10-19-2016, 06:58 AM

I heard about this and decided that it is crazy. I am glad to hear some others agree with me. The shoes are 60 years old and people who see them expect them to be old. Restoring them using some overly paid expert is still a restoration. What is the good in going to see anything but the original shoes? In a world where homeless families live in their cars if they are lucky enough to have them or on the street if they are not this seems to be a huge waste of money. I hope Syrian refugees who are running for their lives don't hear about such American extravagance as they face starvation and/or annihilation. It just might breed more hatred for America.
Old 10-19-2016, 07:48 AM

If there's that much extra money around, how about feeding and sheltering our homeless? Supporting education, pet shelters whatever, There's a lot of needy causes to be funded.
Old 10-19-2016, 08:37 AM
Power Poster

No matter what you do with your money, someone else can always find a better way for you to spend it. All of us who buy fabric could be using that money to feed the homeless, but we get to choose where our money goes and how our time is spent. I don't personally think that the ruby slippers are an important part of our history, but other people do, and if they want to contribute to their restoration then it's not my place to criticize. It's not an either-or decision; we can fund museums and help the needy both.
Old 10-19-2016, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The money will be given by patrons, the shoes are in no danger. But knowing marketing, to make it a public goal will enforce the fact the museum is actively trying to preserve and everyone can be a part of saving an iconic part of film history. Publicity will increase the funds too. It's a win win.
At least that's what they tell us. I've heard that "no public funds will be used for this project" before.