Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you use your slow cooker in the summer time?

Blog Entries
    I just found this recipe for a chocolate lava cake. It sounds so good I think I will have to give it a try.
    http://thischickcooks.blogspot.com/2...-cake-mud.html

sounds wonderful. wish i could eat it.

Yes I use mine alot.

ditto, doesn't heat up the kitchen as much.:)

Blog Entries
    :thumbup:

and you can put it outside!

use my slow cooker all the time!

Yes, i have used it twice recently, so nice to not have a hot house from the oven being on.

Yes, and this cake looks so yummy, I can't wait to make it and take it to work.( I am the only sweet eater here,this would not be a good thing to make lol)

yummy. This is one I need to try. Thanks for the link

Use mine all the time, first because does not heat up kitchen and second because I don't have to mess in the kitchen, I can spend more time sewing.

I use my slow cooker year round.....easy to throw something in and be done with it.....doesn't heat up the kitchen....very little to clean up.....and usually does a better job than the oven.

Super Member Central Ohio Quilter's Avatar
    When I use my slow cooker in the summer, I put it out in the garage, so it doesn't heat up the house. Works great!

Blog Entries
    We had a roast,carrets, potatoes in the slow cooker just a couple of day's ago.

OK I love chocolate molten lava cake, so I will definitely be trying this recipe. Thanks for the recipe!

I use mine year round & more than anyone I know! When I roast garlic in it I put it outside- I love the smell, but my DH doesn't. We are having a party on July 4th & I am doing baked beans in it. Love my slow cooker!

A Hop from Heaven, a Skip from Sanity and a Jump from the Good Life....
    Blog Entries
    Yum.. Hmmmm someone needs to post links for slowcooker recipes now....

We have two of them, a big one and a little one, and we use them regularly year-round. We still use our microwave, gas oven and cook top, and Big GF Rotisserie regularly too, but some things are just best cooked in the crock pot.

As far as heat in the kitchen during the summer, our kitchen temperature is close to whatever the outside temperature is at the time. Right now, we’ve been having several days of 100+ temperatures. We decided to quit trying to cool the kitchen back a few years ago. We prepare nearly all of our meals in our kitchen (except when I cook on the wood grill out in the backyard), including the ones that we take to the shop for our lunch. In the hot part of summer, preparing meals daily created a lot of heat that we in turn had to spend money to cool back down with the AC. Add to that the dishwasher heating element, the compressors on two refrigerators and a freezer, the gas water heater, the coffee pot that’s on all morning, and the clothes dryer. All of these appliances are in the same kitchen and adjoining utility room area.

We finally installed a clear plastic curtain between our kitchen and the rest of the house (arched doorway without a door), and disabled the AC cooling in the kitchen. I got the idea from a warehouse that I visited that use the plastic strips hanging in some of their doorways to control air flow between two temperature controlled areas. Our house happened to have a floor plan that made it work for us with one small curtain. Now we don’t care how hot it gets in the kitchen, we’re still cool in the rest of the house. The fridges and freezer may run a little more this way, but we can see a huge savings in our summer energy use. Preparing the evening meal gets a little warm, so when it gets too hot in the kitchen, simply step behind “Curtain #1” to be cool.

CD in Oklahoma

Oh heck yes! We go through a whole lot of meat in our house, so we try to buy less-expensive cuts. The cheap cuts tend to be best suited for slow-cooking. Lately I've been doing a lot of pork shoulder. Sure makes dinnertime a lot more pleasant! The main course is done, so all I have to do is steam or saute some veggies and we're ready to eat.

Yes I do use it year round. I just hate cooking over a hot stove in the summer time even with air conditioning. Sometimes it is already grilled beef or chicken, shredded/torn apart and barbecue sauce (sometimes homemade) for sandwiches. Thanks for the dessert recipe.

Blog Entries
    We have a solar cooker that works much like a slow cooker (and uses the same recipes) and doesn't use electricity!

This is the one we use:

http://www.amazon.com/Global-Sun-Ove...8754468&sr=8-1

(We didn't pay that much; must have bought it on sale.)

Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemay
    I use mine year round & more than anyone I know! When I roast garlic in it I put it outside- I love the smell, but my DH doesn't. We are having a party on July 4th & I am doing baked beans in it. Love my slow cooker!
    How do you roast your garlics in them? Most of the recipes I make are "winter time recipes", and I'm not too venturesome.

Sounds yummy, I'm going to try this one

Quote Originally Posted by thimblebug6000
    Quote Originally Posted by Maggiemay
    How do you roast your garlics in them? Most of the recipes I make are "winter time recipes", and I'm not too venturesome.
    You cut the top off a head of garlic & drizzle it with a little olive oil then wrap it in foil. Put it in the crockpot on high for 3-4 hours or until it is soft & squeezes out of the skins. I do several at once. Great for appetizers or garlic mashed potatoes.

I use mine all the time. lol..did baked beans just this weekend for Father's Day barbeque.

Blog Entries
    That looks yummy beyond words!!! I just HAVE to try it!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast