Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Do you want fries with that?  A real story! >

Do you want fries with that? A real story!

Do you want fries with that? A real story!

Old 10-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish
When I was a teen, my grandmother would peel grapes for our dog. Talk about spoiled.

And yes, I do know (now) that you should not feed grapes to dogs. Obviously Grandma didn't know.
I've heard of not feeding grapes to kids unless you cut them up because of a choking hazzard. Is it the same reason for dogs? My dog loves grapes and I do cut them in half.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting
When I was a teen, my grandmother would peel grapes for our dog. Talk about spoiled.

And yes, I do know (now) that you should not feed grapes to dogs. Obviously Grandma didn't know.
I've heard of not feeding grapes to kids unless you cut them up because of a choking hazzard. Is it the same reason for dogs? My dog loves grapes and I do cut them in half.
No, dogs should never have grapes or raisins because they contain an enzyme that damages their livers.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:14 PM

I am sure you will hear this a million times now...Grapes are a no! no! for dogs!

There is something in the grapes that will make the dog go into kidney failure!

I am sure it has to do with what type of dog you have and if they have lots of them. Dogs cannot digest chocolate and it is not good for them either! My firends mini-pincher LOVED youghert raisins! They gave him some for treat every night! One day he got really ill and by the time they got him to the vet he lasted another 36 hours! My friend and her husband felt so guilty! They have a new dog now, butit was quite traumatic for all of us! Please be careful! They have always said onions and garlic for your dog...now that is not good for them either!
Old 10-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by ube quilting

No, dogs should never have grapes or raisins because they contain an enzyme that damages their livers.
thank you for this very useful information. When people ask me what kind of dog she is I tell tell them a food hound. She eats anything. She loves cantelope, watermelon, carrots, lettuce and cats. She likes cats! :thumbup:
Old 10-22-2011, 09:08 PM

or onions, do not feed them onions.

My girl, Maddy--a yellow lab--comes running into the kitchen when I yell "sh--" because I've dropped something. Yell it in another room? no reaction! She eats everything I eat. Loves cabbage cores, brussels sprouts, tomatoes, cantelope, apples, and more. ONly things she won't eat? mushrooms of any kinds and celery unless it's finely chopped. Guess she doesn't like the strings!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:29 PM

Or garlic. Can't feed them garlic, either.

Mine will come running when he hears the broom. He knows I sweep everything into a corner and suck it up with the dust buster - he races to see if he can eat all the crud before I can vacuum it up!