Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does any one know about Shingles? >

Does any one know about Shingles?

Does any one know about Shingles?

Old 07-05-2011, 04:40 AM

I had them years ago. I found that 800mg of ibubrophren worked better than the pain mess the doctor prescribed. I hope you find some relief soon.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:44 AM

I got the shingles November '09 and after seeing my doctor (who gave me some meds) I googled shingles. During my research I found some things I could try and I found some that actually worked for me. Since shingles affects the nerve endings, I took supplements that would help - Vitamin B1 (the type that melts under the tongue), L-lysine and B-complex. These really helped me. But I did have a milder case as I had taken the vaccine 10 months before I contracted the shingles.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by maurie
Has anyone suffered with Shingles? Is there any source of relief? I am in constant pain.
My mom and husband have both had shingles. Mom is still having problems from a year ago. Her doctor gave her medication.
My husband will not go to the doctor...he took turmeric (yes the spice) capsules 3 times a day the bottle says 2 capsules once a day so he tripled his dose it worked. If you believe in using herbs Swanson carries this cheaper than Walgreens

http://www.healthdiaries.com/eatthis...-turmeric.html

google Turmeric and find plenty others
Old 07-05-2011, 04:52 AM

GO TO THE DOCTOR. I have had the vacine, but that is no guarantee they will not pop up some day.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:22 AM

I had them when I was 15 and I'm in my late 50s now. I had them on my chest, my breast bone all the way around to my spine. Nothing the drs. could do except let it run it's course, thank God for the medicines today.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Yes, had them when I was between 4 & 5 yrs old! For whatever reason hid it from anyone until my sister saw it then went and told my Mom who rushed me to the ER. I still remember the pain and have the scars to remind me.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:37 AM

I had them last year.... oh, the pain. I went to dermatoligist and he prescribed a pill..don't remember the name of it though. I feel really sorry for you. I had a mild case and caught it really early and it was REALLY painful. Mine were on my face and on my eye lids. I got a cream for that from my eye doctor. Best wishes.... and here is a great big gentle hug for you.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:44 AM

Lots of good advice here. My husband and several others in family have had them. I had C.P. as a child but got the vaccine after my husband contracted the Shingles. The only thing I would add to your advice is when my sister-in-law had them, her Dr suggested applying Listerine topically and it helped. It has to be full strength, original Listerine, not "flavored" etc. It seems to help...hope it can assist you as well. Good luck.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:58 AM

I had them years ago after I had cared for my Dad who was dying of cancer. Luckily I went to the Dr. early and I wasn't in too much pain. Have you contacted your Dr. and are on the medication to clear it up??? Also mention pain so they can prescribe something. It's been 15 years since I had them so don't remember too much!!! Once this clears up get the shingles shot so hopefully they won't come back ever!!!!!
Originally Posted by maurie
Has anyone suffered with Shingles? Is there any source of relief? I am in constant pain.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:06 AM

Had them a few years ago, YIKES they hurt a lot!!! Had them in my right eye scary. Had a friend who had them three times after he got the shot never had them again :)