Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone else experience this? >

Does anyone else experience this?

Does anyone else experience this?

Old 07-21-2011, 05:40 PM

If you eat a complex carbohydrate and healthy protein every three hours, it keeps blood sugar levels normal and prevents hunger pangs and cravings and mad dash to the fridge.

In conjunction with working out, this is a very healthy way to eat. I was a size 12 in high school. I started to eat like this when I was 33. At 38, with 2 kids and a full time job, I am a size 4 and I don't feel like I am on a diet and I don't feel hungry.
Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 PM

I have the same problem and also I never ever feel full. I can eat any given amount of food and never fill up. I am a newbie diabetic but I've been this way long before I developed diabetes. And it never matters whether I eat a healthy diabetic menu or just pig out. Always the same....still hungry....
Old 07-21-2011, 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by NanaCsews2
Are you sure it is hunger pangs and not a 'stomach acid', reflux or another condition? I had similar symptoms and ended up with my gallbladder out, after a very very painful couple of episodes. Started with reflux. Had to change the way I ate, smaller meals more often during the day, and use Zantac. Husband also had issues, his much different and involved the esophagus. He is still on Previcid (very small dose) after a couple of years. If this is a possibility, get medical attention as taking things OTC may mask the condition, if there is one. Hopefully, it is nothing to worry about.

I have reflux and when it used to start to get bad (before I felt any pain), for a few days I would feel like I was hungry, that gnawing sort of feeling all the time. I take Protonix daily and this rarely happens anymore.
Old 07-21-2011, 06:17 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by valsma
Lately I have been noticing that I'm more hungry after I eat than I am before I eat. I get hunger pains. It doesn't matter what I eat, healthy, not so healthy.

What are you eating when this happens?
Old 07-21-2011, 07:44 PM
Power Poster

Me too. I am always hungry and never get full.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:45 AM

I had that feeling when I had an ulcer.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:00 AM

A little background, I have relflux and take two different meds to control the acid. One I take before eating and Acifex once a day. I know my body well enough to know this is not the problem. This is something that has just started happening recently. I have an appt. in Oct. for a full check up but already feel like my doctor thinks it's all in my head. Everytime she runs test they come back clear. I even had a nuclear medicine test that checked the function of my gall bladder, it shows there is an issue with my gall bladder but it isn't gall stone, it just doesn't function right. They can take it out but right now it isn't needed and my insurance is cosidering it elective until it becomes a major health issue. Frankly right now it would be hard for us to come up with our portion of the fees and our hospitals around here are all want you to apply for credit and sign a contract. It is just weird and I have a problem with it.
It doesn't seem to matter if i'm eating a salad or if I eat a hamburger. She checks my blood sugar everytime she runs a blood test and diabetes is in my future if I don't get the weight under control but right now, my blood sugar is holding steady.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:06 AM

Read an article in Prevention Mag. Said to eat a small apple spread with peanut butter. Gives carb. and protein. Only problem now, I am addicted to apples and peanut butter. Really good.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:15 AM

Have you been checked for H-Pylori and ulcers? It wouldn't hurt to ask your doc to add that to the list of tests before your Oct. appt.
Old 07-22-2011, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by valsma
It doesn't seem to matter if i'm eating a salad or if I eat a hamburger. She checks my blood sugar everytime she runs a blood test and diabetes is in my future if I don't get the weight under control but right now, my blood sugar is holding steady.
Often your post-meal blood sugar level changes long before your fasting number does, and even a slight elevation in your A1c is cause for concern. Also, there really isn't any such thing as "borderline" diabetic, if that's what you're hearing.

Also being overweight does NOT cause diabetes; often diabetes causes weight gain.

If you believe diabetes is a possibility in your future I would get a glucose monitor and some test strips now, and start testing one- and two-hours after you eat. There are a lot of charts out there that talk about what your post-prandial numbers should be, and they don't always agree, but if you're spiking over 140 at any time it would be cause for concern.