Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Does anyone own a newer version VW bug? >

Does anyone own a newer version VW bug?

Does anyone own a newer version VW bug?

Old 01-08-2015, 09:54 AM

I owned a VW bug for about 4 years, when A friend offered to trade straight across for a Subaru wagon, I jumped on it. Best decision I ever made! I spent more time getting the 'bug' fixed than I did driving it. If you can spend the money to keep it on the road, go for it. You may love it, many of my friends do, just not me.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:56 AM

I don't own a "bug". On my last trip to Ca, I rented one -2013. It was a great ride! Great on gas, comfortable seats, lots of room and great storage in the truck. The few things I did not like was the light switch. I had to pull over and read the manual, the switch was behind the steering wheel. You cannot open the gas cover if the doors are locked. There is no obvious handle on the trunk. Minor things because if I was offered enough money to buy a bug, you bet I would!
Old 01-08-2015, 11:27 AM

Wow, RJWilder, you give me great hope. My husband and I are living on his pension but our car was dying. We really needed something but didn't have much money to spend. His sister's boss in another state was selling his 2000 turbo bug with only 81,000 miles on it. We bought it, had it shipped down to us, and it is now my car. I'm short, so it really fits me. I totally love it. It is so fun to drive on our windy Ozarks roads. I hope it lasts for another 300,000 miles like your DIL's car. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:54 PM

I drive for a major car rental company and the bug is probably one of the cars that are on the bottom of my list. I think there are other cars that are much better. If you want a smaller car the Cruz, Corolla, or Sentra would be my choice of car.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:09 AM

I dont drive a beetle but I did years ago and loved it, it was a 1966. It was a wonderful car, I now drive a 2006 Jetta, love it more, we bought it new and are still driving it and will till it lays down. It is our only car at this time so we have to totally depend on it. We are raising two grandsons so we are on the go a lot, they are both teenagers. I trust VW's. These Jetta's have a lot of room, everyone always says "wow you have a large trunk". Dont know anything about the new Beetles.

Last edited by Grannyh67; 01-09-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by Material Witness View Post
I have a diesel VW Jetta Sportwagon, it has a little more room than the bug. I used to own an convertible, and you know, they last forever.
we have the same...42 miles per gallon of fuel. Love it. If you are looking for used search for TDI or diesel.
We are incredibly impressed with the dealership and service ethic also.

I think the Jetta sportswagon was discontinued this year, but expect they've come up with something just as good.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:09 PM

had a baby blue bug when i was 16 (1967). left it parked between two trees. the three of us walked out with only bumps and bruises. the car became an accordian. upcycling in its infancy. lol my favorite car was a mustang convertible. still have one. get what makes you happy. how many more years do you plan to drive? my gbabies other gm has my next car, a vw bug convertible! best of both worlds!��������
Old 01-10-2015, 01:51 PM

I drive lots of rentals for my job. Rented a Bug one time cuz it was just me. The track thing that slides the seats back broke on it when I was at the 1st rest area which was about 60 miles from home. Great drive on the interstate and back roads but not impressed with the track thing breaking. The car had less than 5000 miles on it when the seat thing broke. Apparently, it's fairly common according to the tow truck driver. Except for that one glitch, I loved driving it. I also like the Chevy Cruz.