Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Doesn't McD's have enough money, yet? >

Doesn't McD's have enough money, yet?

Doesn't McD's have enough money, yet?

Old 05-10-2010, 07:59 AM

Last week, on two ocassions, I stopped at a McDs that's not on my usual route. When they handed me my drink thru the drivethru window, I noticed that the level of the soda was about 3/4" to 1" lower than the rim. The second time it happened, I handed it back and asked it to be FILLED. I was told that filling the cups is now all automatic and the staff can't add anything. Okay, won't go back there again.

Went to my usual McDs this morning. They just refurbished the drink station at the drivethru window. Guess what? The drink level was considerably lower than the usual almost-to-the-top that used to be dispensed before the re-do.

Has anyone else encountered this? If the level was only a little bit less, I wouldn't complain (or probably notice). But, considering all the soda that is now not being dispensed, that adds up to a pretty penny. Guess it's just one more example of downsizing, pardon the pun, we have to swallow!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:00 AM

I'll have to pay attention the next time I go in there, which isn't very often, but now you've got me curious. I wonder if they do that with their milk shakes also?
Old 05-10-2010, 08:02 AM

Don't know about the milk shakes, I've never had one from them. I stop at McDs now and then for a quick breakfast. I don't drink coffee so I get the diet sodas.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:04 AM

they were doing it back home b4 we moved last year...

keep in mind that each McDonalds is privately owned... and the owners of each store decide how frugal to be :D
Old 05-10-2010, 08:07 AM

That's a bunch of Cr@p. Even with an auto-fill there's a top off button. I suspect the employees are not filling the cups with "enough ice" to make the drink fill to the top. Soda syrup costs them PENNIES for a cup of soda. Biggest rip-off out there!
Old 05-10-2010, 08:12 AM

The McD's around here are doing the same thing.
That's why I only eat inside or at least order inside (no drive thru) so I can fill my own drink with ice and soda. Although there still are some that fill your drink behind the register. I dont' go to those anymore.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:17 AM
Power Poster

You pay less , you get less. Around here all sizes are $1.00 so to make up for it you get a cup partially full :shock:

And it is true it is only pennies for the fountain drinks, so that is one of the best money makers for any place.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:18 AM

Fountain drinks are the least expensive things to make, the profit margin on them is the highest EVERYWHERE not just McD's but now it seems that Ronald is wanting to gouge people even more. Solution--don't use the drive through or don't buy drinks. I seldom purchase the watered down drinks at fast food restaurants because of the profit enormous profit margin and the tiny bit of quality.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:23 AM

Mickey D's soda always tastes funny, the mix isn't right.
Old 05-10-2010, 08:30 AM

the purpose of the syrup for the fountain drinks is supposed to be cheap...
fast foods tend to change that.

I have found however that some convenience stores are the best place for fountain drinks... they charge differently for refills, and will let you "refill" just about any container lol
I bought a huge 100 ounce cup with a lid there for $5.99 about a year ago, and they let me refill it with anything (soda, slushie, tea, flavors) for 79 cents lol... works out cheaper than buying a 2 liter :D