Dogs and carpet

Old 04-03-2011, 04:37 PM

We have berber-and three big (sometimes muddy-pawed) dogs. You can take straight bleach to the berber, if necessary!!
It wears like iron! There are also a lot of good oxy-carpet cleaners for spot cleaning. I'm still happy with it after 12 years. . .
Old 04-03-2011, 04:40 PM

If you really want to you can train the dog to stay off the carpet...my mom did that years ago when I brought our very first dog home and she didn't want it...it was a poodle...and of course everyone fell in love with it..but while we trained the dog she didn't go on the carpet..my mom would show her the slipper and she would get off and sit on the floor....she never had accidents in our house..we had a male poodle after that and he was another story..just needed to pee for no reason now and again...just depends on the dog...my dog now, avatar, never has accidents in the house...I have both hardwood and area rugs...my problem is the hair..much easier to vacuum on floor than on rugs...
Old 04-03-2011, 04:45 PM

if you plan on locking the dog up in this area, then it would be a bad idea. Locked in a room with carpet, a dog will tear it up and do their business on it. Otherwise, it is not an issue. Accidents will happen if it is a puppy, but it is easily cleaned up.
In all my years of training and keeping dogs I have only had one that could not be kept in a house with carpet. This dogs loves carpet and does her business on it. She is completely house broken, but if there is carpet she just HAS to go on it!
I say if you want carpet go for it! The dog wouldn't matter.

Cons would be: Wet dog, if it is raining pup will come in and rub all over it to get dry. Wet dog smell.
If it is a large dog, the carpet will smell like dog. If it is a small dog, this is less likely.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:00 PM

Hi Larelea,

I would have the best of both worlds. I would have hardwood floors put in the family room. Then you can add a large area rug for the seating area. This helps to warm up the room and to add color and style along with your furniture.

From one who has had dogs with carpeting I want to go back to hardwood or wood look tile in the busy rooms of the house including the kitchen.

You can add large rugs in the kitchen as well. At the sink area, stove and refrigerator. These are nice when standing to cook and clean. With these rugs you can switch them out. It's also better to have vinyl in the kitchen. I lived with carpet in the kitchen and it's terrible if there is a spill. Small rugs can be
changed with the seasons and your whim along with matching towels.

Pam M
Old 04-03-2011, 05:03 PM

Dogs and carpet will do fine. Training is the key and lots of loving for that fur baby. Either flooring will work. Enjoy your new pet and send us pics (smile).
Old 04-03-2011, 05:03 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by patty48
I'm not sure why. Train the dog, shouldn't be a problem. Had a couple of dogs with carpet, never had an issue.
Same here!!
Old 04-03-2011, 05:08 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by laralea
The current floor has to go because it's old and damaged and the room is very dark so it needs something to make it lighter. I'm even thinking of painting the paneling somewhere down the road.
Hi again, I once had a family room that was paneled and yes, it was dark and gloomy. We painted it an off white, creamy and it made a HUGE difference!!! Really brightened up the whole room.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:22 PM

We don’t have any carpeting because of our pets. Even when your dog is housebroken they do get upset tummies sometimes. They'll ask to go out when they don't feel good but if you aren't home then what?
Old 04-03-2011, 05:23 PM

When we had our little Danny (died at 15 years) we had mostly carpet. No problem. He loved to play ball and he had a hard time on the kitchen floor that was not carpeted because he slid on the flooting. Danny was a small dog. Lapso.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:27 PM

I moved in with my brother who has carpet through the whole house. Andy is fine. No accidents and I even have a girl foster dog she hasn't gone in the house either. So for me I have no problem with carpet and dogs. Now if it were a puppy I might be a little more careful. But the enzyme cleaner will clean up pretty much anything.
And if they aren't quite trained there are always belly bands for boys and panties for girls so they can be with you and still be ok for short periods of time .