Dogs and carpet

Old 04-04-2011, 10:00 AM
Power Poster

Some dogs fur doesn't vacuum as easily as others (DB's golden retriever being one LOL ... there are pros and cons to both types of flooring.
Lots of good examples already listed here :D:D:D
Old 04-04-2011, 10:29 AM

I will never have carpet again They all have accidents and just because you can't smell it don't mean the critter can't its been scented and its where they'll continue to go and carpeting is never clean no matter what kind of vacuum or shampooer you have Its sooo much easier to dust mop and wet mop come winter buy a carpet with binding from any Lowe's type store cheaper to replace just in case-or keep your slippers on :thumbdown: carpet :thumbdown:
Old 04-04-2011, 12:46 PM

As the commercial here says "If you don't train them, don't blame them" I have had and breed many dogs. I usually kennel train them. Now I cover their kennels with pretyy quilts and they love their little homes. Potty training is the biggest problem. Take them out OFTEN, finger point at them if they have an accident, don't hit them. They will get the idea of when you are unhappy with them. But train, train, train, and you should be able to put down any carpet you want.
Old 04-04-2011, 01:36 PM

I've always had a dog and carpet. I crate train my dogs and have had very few accidents. Our last dog could only get up on carpet her last few years. She was old and had a bad leg. I've always had large or med size dogs but if you train them, carpet isn't a problem. I usually have dogs that don't shed much either. Get what you like, I sure wouldn't install something just so clean up is easier for the first few weeks you have your dog, you'll have it for a long time.
Old 04-04-2011, 06:29 PM

No carpet for me, ever. Dog or no dog. Carpets get dirty. Floors can be cleaned. Carpets get fleas, bugs, yuk. Just my opinion.

Cynthia
Old 04-04-2011, 07:28 PM

We have had several dogs and the absolutely best thing we did in several houses we have lived in was to install a doggy door. They go out when they need to and you don't have to worry.
-----------------------------
We used to love the IDEA of doggy doors, but the high numbers of burglaries in our town made that kind of unpopular. We, of course, had Dobermans, but others who had more friendly to strangers dogs, had burglars push kids through the doggy doors. The kids would then open the big doors for adults.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:03 PM

Dog hair has a way of weaving itself into and around the fibers of the carpet and it is very difficult to vacuum clear. Then there's the dirt factor. Carpets are so much more time consuming, costly and difficult to clean and they do get dirty very easily with a dog around. I took out all our carpeting in living room, dining room and tv room and only kept it where the dogs are not allowed just so I could lessen work load involved in keeping floors clean. All I can say is DON'T DO IT....you'll regret the carpet decision.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:18 PM

I've had dogs and carpet all of my life. Train your new dog in a room that does not have carpet until they understand the house rules. Most dogs train easily. Then enjoy your new carpet and your new dog.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:58 PM

I would use area rugs myself. I had the carpet removed from the family room and two of the three bedrooms. The formal living room is carpeted as is the masterbed room but I just love the hardwood floors.
My biggest recommendation for hardwood floors is the fact that it's so much cleaner. One doesn't realize how much "stuff" ends up in the carpet until it's gone and the "stuff" is seen resting on the hardwood floor. So much healthier in my mind.

But if you do put carpet down and get a new dog, just make sure to set up a routine in taking it out for it's walk, and stick to it. You might also designate a "potty area in a special area with newspapers on which to do the job" until fully housebroken.
Old 04-05-2011, 05:18 PM

Puppies will have accidents. I'd just get the pup first train and than take care of the floor. There are products on the market for pees & poo, but did you ever pick up a carpet and look at the fiber under part, stains and I'm sure if you smell it, it would have a smell. Good luck with whatever you decide.