Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: From Don-isewman--?? for anyone, and any suggestions

Blog Entries

From Don-isewman--?? for anyone, and any suggestions

I got into the pictures today. And found a picture of a quilt made by a member here. It was of pinwheels. And I liked the ideal for a baby quilt made with the pinwheels. I would like anyone, to give me ideals or suggestion for a baby quilt, also. Here's the story, my grdson, is going to make me a great grdfather in Jan-Feb of 2015. Not of 1 BUT 2/twins. I've been looking around for baby panels, etc, and so on. I've come across a lot of baby print. But wasnt to crazy about what I've seen. I will eventually use a baby print, but flannel for the backing. My grdson, says he will let me know. The sex's on Sept 30. I guess there haveing a ultra sound, or what ever they do to find the sex's. Thanks to everyone, for help, and suggestions. Don-isewman

Blog Entries
    put the panel in the ctr and put the pin wheels around as a border.
    pick up the colors in the center panel. Be sure and show us, and
    congratulations!!!
    put off till tomorrow what you can do today, and if you procrastinate long enough, you may never have to do it.

Congratulations on becoming a soon to be great grand-dad.....and twins !!! Wow!! Don't have any ideas for the quilt - just wanted to wish everybody well !!!
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries
    Break the prints in your pinwheels up so they don't make you dizzy. I'd like to see the picture of the quilt that inspired you.

Great-grandfather!! How many greats are there around who are still making baby gifts? You're amazing and have a very lucky family. Congratulations and welcome to the next generation.
    Barbara

Samuel Johnson - Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed, not by strength but by perseverance.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations!
    Courtesy is not optional.

http://theeclecticabuela.blogspot.com/

Don, Congratulations-what wonderful news! 2 things for you to consider: this generation of new parents have some unique color combinations and decorating themes for their baby rooms- you may want to have a female relative check with the Mom-to-be. Sorry but we women tend to have a whole language for this kind of thing which your grandson may whittle down to "hmmm I think we're going with green and blue (so which of the 20,000 shades of these colors?) and I think animals or something". So just suggesting, if you were thinking of doing something to be used in the baby's room-more information is very helpful. Now I have a few projects ready to be made for my older son and daughter-in-law's planned on, but not yet a reality babies. So I've gathered gender neutral fabrics for floor quilts, drag around blankies etc. there are lots of great choices online. I have focused on alphabet letters, numbers, nursery rhymes and animals. Can't wait to see your pictures! They will treasure whatever you make for their babies!
    “Come to me all you who are weary and I will give you rest”~Jesus

When my niece told me she was having twin boys I was so excited for her. A little concerned too because if they turn out like her husband she was going to have her hands full. She would anyway but it was going to be wild. So everyone bought the ATV stud, tractors, all boy stuff. I kept telling her that some times sonograms were wrong. She's an Emergency Room RN, had quite a few sonograms because they had to watch them carefully for various reasons, so she would tell me I was just wishful thinking and get ready for a couple little dudes. When my BIL called to tell me that Libby came out first - I just laughed. Then panicked because everything was for little boys. That was over 5 years ago and what is funny, she is all girl too. Her brother is a Lego Fanatic and he loves Star Wars everything. So you may want to make something simple now and save the detailed things after you meet them and their personalities talk to you.

I like Lynnie's idea of pinwheels around a panel. It would be cute to get two panels from the same collection, then make one quilt with (for example) a panel, a blue border, blue and white pinwheels, and a panel, a green border, then green and white pinwheels - so they're a similar pattern, but unique to each child. I hope that made sense - getting tired!
    Margaret F

Blog Entries
    Congratulations. I made a pinwheel baby quilt. 4 sails on the pinwheel were bright colours the other 4 and background were neutral , this made the coloured wheels spin and pop.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Just wanted to say "Congratulations!" I would have loved to have been a fly on the wall when your grandson told you twins! I make Jacob's Ladder and Rail Fence in thirties reproduction fabrics for a coworker who had twins. How she did this is still a mystery to me because she is a tiny woman.

Don, I've made several pinwheel quilts and have attached the photos. If you are interested in the 3D pinwheel, send me a private message and I'll send you the directions. The first picture is a 3D I did for a little girl. The next pinwheel was my recovery quilt to take to chemo sessions. The blue is a little boy quilt with pinwheel and start.

Good luck choosing what you want to make and blessings on your two little great grands!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    put the panel in the ctr and put the pin wheels around as a border.
    pick up the colors in the center panel. Be sure and show us, and
    congratulations!!!
    I like Lynnie's suggestion. You could do the pinwheels in one direction on one of the quilt and then the opposite direction on the other quilt. Just a thought. Congratulation !!
    A Good Friend, like an old quilt, is both a Treasure and a Comfort

Quote Originally Posted by Cybrarian View Post
    Don, Congratulations-what wonderful news! 2 things for you to consider: this generation of new parents have some unique color combinations and decorating themes for their baby rooms- you may want to have a female relative check with the Mom-to-be. Sorry but we women tend to have a whole language for this kind of thing which your grandson may whittle down to "hmmm I think we're going with green and blue (so which of the 20,000 shades of these colors?) and I think animals or something". So just suggesting, if you were thinking of doing something to be used in the baby's room-more information is very helpful. Now I have a few projects ready to be made for my older son and daughter-in-law's planned on, but not yet a reality babies. So I've gathered gender neutral fabrics for floor quilts, drag around blankies etc. there are lots of great choices online. I have focused on alphabet letters, numbers, nursery rhymes and animals. Can't wait to see your pictures! They will treasure whatever you make for their babies!

Sooooooo true. I am currently helping my oldest danger make a baby quilt for her boyfriends brother and sil. While the colors look great it is nothing I would have chosen for a baby quilt. Thankfully we had a pice of the wall paper to use. Even if you don't match thier theme perfectly it would be great to get in the right tones.

I love the pin wheels allyoop posted particularly. 2 and 3 both would make awesome baby quilts some people want brights, others more muted and they are both wonderful.
    Billi
    It's never too late to have a happy childhood

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MFord View Post
    I like Lynnie's idea of pinwheels around a panel. It would be cute to get two panels from the same collection, then make one quilt with (for example) a panel, a blue border, blue and white pinwheels, and a panel, a green border, then green and white pinwheels - so they're a similar pattern, but unique to each child. I hope that made sense - getting tired!
    That is what a friend of mine did then in the border she quilted the name of the child so they knew which quilt belonged to what child. You could quilt the birth stats in the borders also. I did a wedding quilt and quilted the brides maiden name in one border, grooms in another, wedding date in third and mr and mrs full name and was very happy with the results.
    Happy Quilting
    Judy in Lower Michigan

Wonderful news. Doubt that I'll ever have great grandchildren.

Quilting, crocheting, sewing and crafting in my Sewing Room...Peaceful and wonderful !!
    I find out what the animal theme is and the color theme. Then I find several of the same color to put around animal blocks for a larger than crib quilt as they will outgrow it .. Just my thing tho .. may help you out

CONGRATULATIONS !!!!
    When Life brings big winds of change that almost blows you over.Hang on tight and Believe.
    Words and hearts should be handled with care-for words when spoken and hearts when broken are the hardest things to repair. Author unknown to me
    Do what you feel in your heart to be right; for you'll be criticized anyway-Eleanor Roosevelt

All great ideas and congratulations.
    At 69 I have three Great Grands, 2 Girls 6 & 3 -, almost 7 & 4. The other a boy 15 months.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

How exciting Don. Congrats I think I would center the panel, and use the pinwheels in a second wide border. You know ( center; 1.5 in border, pinwheel border, and binding)

Blog Entries
    Congratulations,,,, Grandchildren are such a blessing and a gift from our Father

Congratulations!

I agree with Cybrarian - definitely check with the mom-to-be first, to get an idea of colors. I made a quilt for my first niece, and, even though I thought I had the colors right, apparently I didn't, because it ended up in the closet and I haven't seen it since. Of course, even quilts that don't "go" with their chosen color scheme can still be used as play quilts for when the little squishes are having tummy time. And I'm another vote for lynnie's suggestion.

I love pinwheels, esp. for babies. Make a block with the pinwheel and a plain color in between. I use pastels as the plain block. Oh, by the way, I have 14 great grandkids from 18 yrs. old to 19 mos., and yes I still quilt something almost everyday. Enjoy them, Don!!!!!!

Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Power Poster
    congratulations Don i know no matter what you decide it will be great you do great work! maureen
    QUILTNMO

Congratulations I have twin great grand daughters also. Alas I don't get to play with them wince they live to far away. However I sure get some cute pictures.

Congrats Don! Baby/ toddler quilts are such fun to make.

Congrat! The ladies have some great suggestions!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast