Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar >

Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar

Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar

Old 09-11-2010, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by donnaree59
This is so funny..I had found your avatar this morning while reading another post and had to enlarge it to see what it was. I THOUGHT it was hummingbird feeders. Wow! Love the pictures! I am in central GA and have had more the past week than I have had all Summer. Would you mind if I copied one of your pics and sent it to my sister in an email? She loves hummingbirds and I would love for her to see all of yours... She is in NC.
Hi there. Lots of the photos are 'downloadable' to your desktop. If it makes them too big just adjust the size. I don't mind at all. She can also see this post even if she is not a member. Just send her the link. They are totally amazing. I got 89 in one photo when I was filling the feeders at 1pm. I must be at peak because I am having to feed breakfast, lunch and dinner. I normally top out at 3 gallons a day. I am there if not a tad more.
You guys, every birds counts there is a lot of serenity in watching even one little hummer. Thank you all for feeding them.

79 birds
[ATTACH=CONFIG]69050[/ATTACH]

72 birds
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70403[/ATTACH]

75 birds
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70413[/ATTACH]

89 birds
[ATTACH=CONFIG]70414[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-69045.jpe   attachment-70398.jpe   attachment-70408.jpe   attachment-70409.jpe  
Old 09-11-2010, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Sew and Sew
I too live in TN how forturnate we are to live in their migratory path.......I do not have hundreds, but I have around 50. Yep have to fill my feeders daily. Out front porch is long, as you can see on my avatar, so we chose to hang all feeders or I should say most of them from one end to the other on the porch. They do not seem to care that we have our coffee and "watch" them. My husband hung one feeder in the middle of the porch in front of my kitchen window. What a great idea. Now all the front windows have feeders. They are a joy.
Sew and Sew, how many birds do you have now? More?
Old 09-11-2010, 01:06 PM
SC

I am just amazed every time I look at your photos. Wish I could see them all in person. It must be wonderful to hear that many hummingbirds at one time. Thank you so much for sharing!
Old 09-11-2010, 01:09 PM

I have two feeders out front and each one has been claimed by one hummingbird. If the other tries to feed out of his, boy a battle ensues. I love watching them and feeding. Keep the pics coming. You are a natural.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:46 PM

I have enjoyed following your bird posts.

I feed the hummers also. In fact, this summer I had to buy four more feeders as my old ones were leaking and I could not stop them.

Tonight I took a break from studying Anatomy & Physiology and went out on the deck to my swing chair. Had hummers everywhere it seemed when in actuality was only around 1/2 dz. One little one was a little tyrant not letting anyone near the two larger feeders. What a show. I will miss them in a few weeks when they fly away but will leave feeders up until the end of the month.
Old 09-11-2010, 11:14 PM

Dorthy I bet if you parked a chair close to your feeding station & held a little red cup in your hand, with food in it, they would land on it or you. Thanks for posting all these wonderful photos.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Feather3
Dorthy I bet if you parked a chair close to your feeding station & held a little red cup in your hand, with food in it, they would land on it or you. Thanks for posting all these wonderful photos.
Yes, they probably would. I may try that next season. We coming to the end of the season. It won't be long now before they are gone.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:51 AM

Saturday (Sept 12th) we had at least 300 hummingbirds when they fed before going to roost.
Sunday we were down to about 150 birds.
Today, Monday (Sept 13th) we have about 75 to 100 birds.
It has been in the 80's. Sat night it was maybe 60 degree and last night was to be 58. Notice how fat these birds are. Do they double or triple their weight before their long flight? Don't remember.
I think I put the feeders up in June. I started this post in July.
Did I tell you I have cooked and served at least 106 lbs of granulated sugar since June 2010? 75 gallons of water. (The sugar is from memory, could be more if I dug through the grocery receipts. I will log it for us next year).
I opened a 25lb bag of sugar this morning.
I am very happy to know this post and these photos have added value. It is my first year to have so many others to share them with and I am very happy you are here.
Thank you for each response and the photos.
My 2010 hummingbird folder 2010 is over 5 gb. I gotta stop. Okay, I will when they are all gone.
On Edit:
I forgot to tell you I bought 10 new feeders this morning. Next year in peak I will be ready. Saturday Sept 11th I was washing and filling feeders every 3 or 4 hours. Wore me out! I got the round base ones. They are First Nature. Easier to clean and have 10 feeder holes instead of 5. And no, I didn't get them at a discount price. Sad. I got them while they were there.
You guys have a great day. I have house to clean and laundry smiling at me.
Thanks again for looking. Post your photos! If anyone gets my birds please tell us. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Monday Sept 12th. Look how fat these birds are. They are getting ready to leave.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96053[/ATTACH]

Did you notice I don't have as many feeders up?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96217[/ATTACH]

Monday. Sept 13th. This is about all the birds that are still here. Maybe 50 you don't see.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96509[/ATTACH]

These little (round base) feeders hold 1 pint. They (small, round base)were full about 6pm Sunday. This photo was taken about 7am Monday.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96518[/ATTACH]

Almost looks like someone painted them in a portrait.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]96593[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-96048.jpe   attachment-96049.jpe   attachment-96050.jpe   attachment-96211.jpe   attachment-96212.jpe  

attachment-96442.jpe   attachment-96504.jpe   attachment-96505.jpe   attachment-96513.jpe   attachment-96588.jpe  

Old 09-13-2010, 08:58 AM

Dorthy:

WOW are they fat!!!

Yes they fatten up for the next stage of migration. According to info most will fly thru Texas into South America,staying over land. I would guess by the size of them they're fattening up for a long flight in the next stage. Texas has areas where they are in the thousands during migration. I read about a Bed & Breakfast place, that has so many hummers, they have 2 men filling feeders all day long.

I estimate you've spent around $60.00 on sugar!!! Bless you for caring for these little jewels & seeing they had plenty of food to make their migration. Thanks for sharing all these wonderful photos.
Old 09-13-2010, 09:44 AM

Wow, this is all fantastic, you are so good to take the time and money to feed these birds. We only have maybe 5 and they also fight at the feeders. I have 2 large feeders and 2 smaller ones. The small ones emty out quickly. How ever do you keep those feeders so clean and sparkly? I have to put vaseline on mine to keep the ants at bay, so they look grungy, but the birds don't seem to mind.
You also must have a great camera to get those close up shots. Mine come out fuzzy from those tiny wings going so fast.
Thanks so much for the pictures, they are great!
Oh, another thing, I live in the desert, so don't take my feeders down, our few hummers stay all winter.