Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar >

Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar

Dorothy's Hummingbirds. Crump, TN. 2010 season is over. We fed the hummingbirds 144 lbs of granulated sugar

Old 09-18-2010, 08:19 PM

I bring my water to a rolling boil, add the sugar, stir well & bring it back up to a rolling boil. I do it that way to make sure all the sugar dissolves fully. Then I remove from heat & let it cool to room temp before filling the feeders. I keep extra in a large water bottle in the frig.
Old 09-20-2010, 02:35 PM

These were taken the 19th and 20th. I am probably running 100 hummingbirds now.

His tongue is out.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]99104[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-99061.jpe   attachment-99065.jpe   attachment-99098.jpe   attachment-99099.jpe   attachment-99100.jpe  

attachment-99236.jpe   attachment-99237.jpe   attachment-99493.jpe   attachment-99498.jpe   attachment-99499.jpe  

attachment-99500.jpe   attachment-99579.jpe  
Old 09-20-2010, 03:52 PM

I only saw two birds at a time today.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:25 PM

I read on the purple martin forum today that there are still hummers migrating from the northern states.

Dorthy your photos are awesome. How close are you to them when taking those magnificant close ups?
Old 09-20-2010, 05:35 PM

I love watching the Hummers. I live in central Texas.
Sharon W.
Old 09-23-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by purplefiend
I love watching the Hummers. I live in central Texas.
Sharon W.
Hi there, you should have lots of them. Pictures????
Hi Nikkilu. Do you think you will get more? I am feeding about 2 gallons a day. It looks like I have only 75 or so birds. There is either more than I think or the ones here are tanking it up.
Feather3, when I am taking the closeups I am 2 or 3 feet from the bird and use zoom (I have 7x zoom). It is hard to find them on the lcd screen when I am so close. I want to get at least one of them sparring in the air but I didn't make it yet.
Here are some I snapped today. And guess what else I did. Quilted!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited. I have been ripping stitches for as much as a month, ?2 months?. Grit my teeth and bear it, give in and do it. But I got it pinned today. Put my walking foot on and am back in business. Did I tell you how excited I am? :lol:
It didn't rain to make these feeders wet. I hose them off after I fill them so there won't be any sticky water for their feathers to brush against. They have no way to get it off that I know of. Anyone know how they clean themselves?
I am going to load these so you can download them to your desktop. Please do so. Use your zoom and see the amazing colors and other oddities. The colors are amazing. Their feet are so tiny, their feathers so pretty and soft looking. I feel like I am in their own private world when I look at them so close.

Another "Oh, my, goodness!"
[ATTACH=CONFIG]102142[/ATTACH]

What should we name him?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]102143[/ATTACH]

Look closely at his bill. The lighter color at the tip is his tongue.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]102146[/ATTACH]

You can see his tiny little feet.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]102461[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-102067.jpe   attachment-102070.jpe   attachment-102137.jpe   attachment-102138.jpe   attachment-102141.jpe  

attachment-102456.jpe  
Old 09-23-2010, 03:17 PM

Wow! You are very lucky! We put up a hummingbird feeder every year and a bird comes once then neve again. They must be traveling through. We have tried planting flowers, changed feeders, nothing seems to attract them to our yard. We get plenty of other birds though, squirrels, and this year a cute baby chimpunk!
Old 09-23-2010, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Luv Quilts and Cats
Wow! You are very lucky! We put up a hummingbird feeder every year and a bird comes once then neve again. They must be traveling through. We have tried planting flowers, changed feeders, nothing seems to attract them to our yard. We get plenty of other birds though, squirrels, and this year a cute baby chimpunk!
Hi. Sorry it took me so long to get those loaded. Ziltch concentration today. I don't know how they pick and choose but they do. Sorry. Glad you have wildlife to enjoy. Winter is coming, they will enjoy your feeding them. Tom feeds the birds and squirrels in the winter. I watch. :lol:
Old 09-23-2010, 05:04 PM

Wow - Great Pictures!

Only two or three at a time here. Yes, I have seen them groom themselves recently. Our feeders are very close to our house and I can see them very well from where I sit in the living room, looking out our sliding glass door. I have a very good pair of binoculars and "zoom" in on them. We feed the regular birds there and have lots of things for them to perch on - an old TV antenna and the fence cross posts, etc. Seems like the hummers have been very tired and perching a lot and grooming themselves. I have seen them scratch their heads with one foot while balancing on the other. Also, have seen them put their heads under their wings and groom their feathers, etc. I have been keeping records the past 5 years and the earliest that the hummers have left is 9-24-06 - the latest that they have left is 10-13-08.

HTH
Old 09-23-2010, 08:43 PM

Dorthy:

>>Here are some I snapped today. And guess what else I did. Quilted!!!!!!!!!! I am so excited. I have been ripping stitches for as much as a month, ?2 months?. Grit my teeth and bear it, give in and do it. But I got it pinned today. Put my walking foot on and am back in business. Did I tell you how excited I am? :lol: >It didn't rain to make these feeders wet. I hose them off after I fill them so there won't be any sticky water for their feathers to brush against. They have no way to get it off that I know of. Anyone know how they clean themselves?>I am going to load these so you can download them to your desktop. Please do so.>Use your zoom and see the amazing colors and other oddities. The colors are amazing. Their feet are so tiny, their feathers so pretty and soft looking. I feel like I am in their own private world when I look at them so close.