Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Doughnut ear pillow.

Doughnut ear pillow.

This is probably a strange request, but here goes. The quilt group I belong to, Keep You In Stitches, is looking for instructions on how to assemble this pillow. It's for folks that are lying in bed for long stretches of time and their ears get very sore. It's about 8" to 10" square with a hole in the middle. Figuring out the pattern was a snap, 3 pieces. But I can't for the life of me figure out how to sew it together with all the seam allowances on the inside! Yes, I feel very dumb, but we are trying to do a community service by donating our time and materials so the Hospice does not have to purchase these for their patients. Any help will be greatly appreciated! apples galore, or The Dumb One!!!

If you search on Google, there are several patterns that tell how to make these. I just searched doughnut pillow pattern.
    I'd rather be at the lake

Do one thing every day that scares you... Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries
    What if you sew the inner circle wrong sides together first. Then sew the outer square leave an opening on the end to stuff and turn it inside out. (This is only a suggestion if I am understanding your description.) And hand sew the opening. (It shouldn't be that big.)

You could always make a demo on one and see if it works.
    My little shinning stars. Brantley, Kaylynn, and Emmalee
    https://www.quiltinaday.com/eleanora...nontheFarm.asp

Thank you!!

They make these? Wow. I have to look that up and make one for myself. My left ear often hurts because of sleeping on my left side. My solution is to put voltaren gel on it, but preventing it would be best!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

Blog Entries
    Make a tube open at both ends and pull through. Then hand stitch two ends together leaving a small space to push stuffing through.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    sounds good. i use a wheat husk (think) pillow so i can push it down where my ear goes. Want to see your finished one!

cathyvv, I have the same problem on my right side. So glad to see this here. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by DOTTYMO View Post
    Make a tube open at both ends and pull through. Then hand stitch two ends together leaving a small space to push stuffing through.
    Yes, the tube may work, but make that tube a circle. With RST sew outside seam and inside seam. After it is turned, sew that last seam: the one that will make the pillow a circle, as far as you can right sides together. Then stuff and hand-sew the last seam.

I have trouble with both my ears. I usually use my fist and punch a spot for my ear in the pillow. Or kind of gather the pillow around until there is a place for my ear.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

KLO
    Blog Entries
    Since you mentioned making square pillows, I wondered if you couldn't just make a square pillow the size you want (right sides together, sew around leaving a hole for turning which will be hand sewn closed after stuffing) except when stuffing it, first sew a small square shape in the middle before stuffing then stuff the rest of the pillow form. There would be no hole in the middle but since you sewed a square there with no stuffing, it would not press against the ear. That seems like it might be the easiest and fastest way to make one. Hope this makes some sense to you when you read it and hope it is doable. Sometimes what is in my head does not always work. Nice of you and your group to volunteer to do this.

KLO - your idea sound right...could even sew that center into a circle rather than square...interesting, never heard of this before...

Quote Originally Posted by KLO View Post
    Since you mentioned making square pillows, I wondered if you couldn't just make a square pillow the size you want (right sides together, sew around leaving a hole for turning which will be hand sewn closed after stuffing) except when stuffing it, first sew a small square shape in the middle before stuffing then stuff the rest of the pillow form. There would be no hole in the middle but since you sewed a square there with no stuffing, it would not press against the ear. That seems like it might be the easiest and fastest way to make one. Hope this makes some sense to you when you read it and hope it is doable. Sometimes what is in my head does not always work. Nice of you and your group to volunteer to do this.

I like this idea.

Thank you to all who replied to my request on the ear pillow. Because some of you wrote that you also have this problem, I want to share with you what I did finally come up with. DONUT EAR PILLOW Use 1/2" s.a. - much Cut two pieces of fabric 10 1/2" square. Cut a hole in the center of each that has a 3 1/2" diameter. Cut a strip 4" x 6 1/2" for the depth of the hole. (The radius of the circle is 1 3/4" or 1.75 x Pi 3.14 = 5.50 or 5 1/2" circumfrence.) Sew the ends of this strip together. Place a mark at each quarter-circle, on both sides. Then mark both holes on the squares. With RST, sew the strip to each side of the pillow. Turn so the right sides are out. Turn under 1/2" on all four side of the 2 squares. Ironing will make pinning easier. Pin the edges together on 3 sides and maybe an inch on the fourth side. The opening is for stuffing after top stitching. Stitch as close to the edge of the 3 pinned sides; stuff pillow; then using a zipper foot, sew the opening closed. I hope this makes sense to all you. This was the best I could come up with!
    I will try to post a picture of my finished product, as soon as I figure that out!!!! Also technologically challenged!!
    Regard, apples galore

Blog Entries
    I use to work with the elderly in a nursing home We had quite a lot of them. They seem to work pretty good for those who were not ambulatory.
    Never put off what you can do today, because tomorrow may never come.

Couldn't you use one of those U-shaped pillows people use to support their necks on planes or long car rides? Position your ear over the opening.

Sometimes I have solved this problem by laying my head sideways on two pillows just a couple of inches apart. Your ear falls into the open space but your head is completely supported. Try it--it's very comfortable!