Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Dry ice.  I never thought about it. >

Dry ice. I never thought about it.

Dry ice. I never thought about it.

Old 09-05-2021, 07:03 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone View Post
The deli that my husband has ship his favorite polish meats to him can't send the order. No dry ice is available to them. He was told this yesterday when he phoned in his order. I guess it isn't main stream media worthy news.
That's likely. A whole lot of stuff seems not to be main stream media worthy.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:12 AM
Power Poster

I have a relative that manages a food distribution warehouse. He said dry ice was scarce but his concern is what food suppliers are telling him, major price hikes are coming for food distributors . Bigger then ever before.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:33 AM

I have a relative that manages a food distribution warehouse. He said dry ice was scarce but his concern is what food suppliers are telling him, major price hikes are coming for food distributors . Bigger then ever before.
I've been hearing that. Then when inflation hits, it's gonna get scary.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

He said his workers were buying a lot of dry milk powder and add water mixes. Anything that can be kept shelf stable for long term and they like eating of course.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:44 AM

I don't know about it not being covered by MSM - a google search found nothing current. Usually, if there's been a story about something, it's easily found. After 4 pages of articles, I found none that were from 2021 - although there were several from 2020 that were anything but MSM. I even tried a search with "radio hosts discuss dry ice shortage" and found nothing.
Old 09-06-2021, 05:34 AM

I think there is plenty of carbon dioxide available as it is put out by a lot of processes including power plants. I think what is not available is the equipment needed to process it into dry ice. I don't know if there are contaminants from from some of the processes that produce carbon dioxide to make it unsuitable to be made into dry ice for food. Even my home gas furnace puts out a fair amount of carbon dioxide.
Old 09-06-2021, 09:32 AM
Power Poster

Not much is ever covered by MSM in my opinion. I guess call a place that distributes a lot of dry ice and ask how is the supply.
Old 09-06-2021, 10:18 AM

He said his workers were buying a lot of dry milk powder and add water mixes. Anything that can be kept shelf stable for long term and they like eating of course.
Ha...I bought dry milk when the pandemic started....I sure could share it with folks....I only used a little bit of one container. Actually, I used to use it in baking...but I don't do much of that anymore. I do like to keep a bit of canned goods on hand but not too much as that gets out dated too.....