Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: dying with wallnuts

Does somebody know how to dye fabric with wallnut shells?? Do you need a fixation?

Thanks a lot!! Pinot

Blog Entries
    we used walnuts to dye with years ago- boiled the nuts until the water was quite dark- then added the fabric- kept it simmering until it was darker than what we wanted (gives you like a 'tea-dyed' look--different shade of brown-
    then rinsed in cold water- let dry and heat set- we did not use additives- but we had prepared the fabrics- by pre-washing with detergent- no fabric softeners.
    the dyed fabric kept its brown stained hue for years---we did this back in the 70's- still the same--it is a darker- different color than natural muslin-
    we also used the water to dye our skin :)=== ready tan---that made us look like we were in great need of a bath! made our skin look --- dirty---and lasted for weeks! my mom was not impressed with our (creativity)

Akron, Ohio - Atlanta, GA - Mannheim Germany
    Sounds like a future project to try. Thanks for sharing.

some websites:

http://www.practicalprimitive.com/sk...walnutdye.html

http://www.phancypages.com/newslette...sletter538.htm
    **this one includes other ideas what to do with walnuts

Show off your work if you try this!

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl
    we used walnuts to dye with years ago- boiled the nuts until the water was quite dark- then added the fabric- kept it simmering until it was darker than what we wanted (gives you like a 'tea-dyed' look--different shade of brown-
    then rinsed in cold water- let dry and heat set- we did not use additives- but we had prepared the fabrics- by pre-washing with detergent- no fabric softeners.
    the dyed fabric kept its brown stained hue for years---we did this back in the 70's- still the same--it is a darker- different color than natural muslin-
    we also used the water to dye our skin :)=== ready tan---that made us look like we were in great need of a bath! made our skin look --- dirty---and lasted for weeks! my mom was not impressed with our (creativity)
    thank you ck cowl! You realy don't want to see my hands right now.......

Quote Originally Posted by redkimba
    some websites:

http://www.practicalprimitive.com/sk...walnutdye.html

http://www.phancypages.com/newslette...sletter538.htm
    **this one includes other ideas what to do with walnuts

Show off your work if you try this!
    Thank you redkimba. Those are very nice sites. I will be able to dye some muslin now! I don't think I will try the soap and scrub......though my hands could need some scrub now! Thanks again!

Banned
    Blog Entries
    great sites for sure. I do rinse with Retayne though, really does help remove any excess!

I always scour the fabric first. Even if it is just by using synthropol in the washer first.

I have gotten it to hold the darker color by adding soda ash to the water!

redkimba thanks for the websites. I now have some ideas to use. Not sure on the facial scrub.

Blog Entries
    I totally misread that subject line. My dd is allergic to walnuts so I got confused where I was and thought it was a story about an allergic reaction gone bad (which I would expect to read at a food allergy board I go to).

It dyes your hands, why not anything else.

a customer yesterday commented on my hands (probably just as bad as yours) and I told him I couldn't find anything to get them clean. He said to try vinegar and baking soda. Well, they ain't clean, but they're lighter (and softer!). Just get baking soda all over your hands (or a fist full like me :)) and submerge your hand in a glass of vinegar. MAKE SURE IT IS IN THE SINK!! You need to scrub them pretty good and repeat a few times, you can keep the same vinegar. Just thought I'd share. Oh, and toothpaste takes some of it off as well

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pinot
    Does somebody know how to dye fabric with wallnut shells?? Do you need a fixation?

Thanks a lot!! Pinot
    If anyone has a Butternut tree, which is similar to walnut you get a great purple dye from the outer husk. These trees are hard to come by. Most have been cut down. Very sad.