e-readers advice please

Old 07-01-2012, 10:03 AM

I have a kindle and the font size is adjustable.Low price,but I wish I would have gotten the one with the light.
Old 07-01-2012, 10:45 AM

Never used one, but my son has the kindle.
Old 07-01-2012, 11:19 AM

I have and ipad and a Kindle. I greatly prefer the Kindle for reading. The e-ink is much easier on the eyes than the ipad and easier to hold. It can be read in the sun and I have the case which has a reading light which I use all the time. The font size can be enlarged and you have the text to voice feature if you enjoy that. My friend bought the Kindle Fire recently after having the regular Kindle. She also says that the shiny screen makes it harder on the eyes for reading. If reading is what you are after, be sure to check this all out.

Recently I went out of town and left my Kindle at home accidentally on my nightstand. I had my ipad so I loaded a couple of my books on it. I got by, but was pretty unhappy the whole two weeks because it is inconvenient for reading in bed and the backlit screen is harder on the eyes. Good luck in checking these out. I hope you find what you need.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:11 PM

I also have a Kindle. I like it for the versatility. They have them on Amazon starting at $79.00 for the black and white; the Kindle Fire starts at $199 at Walmart and Amazon. Amazon has free shipping.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:11 PM

I got my DH a Kindle for Christmas and he doesn't use it much, but I really like it. Font enlargement feature is great.
Old 07-01-2012, 01:52 PM

Does the iPad2 require a monthly subscription fee to a service provider? I keep thinking I'm going to finish up my books and get a reader. I love the idea of clean and crispy -- but I keep buying more books at yard sales!
Old 07-01-2012, 04:42 PM

I have a Kindle Fire and love it. The font is easily adjustable to larger print typefaces and you can also adjust the brightness of the backlighting. It is so much easier for me to read on it now that my "old" eyes cannot see small print so well. The customer support through Amazon is fabulous on the phone; they will answer any questions and work with you to help. Hope you find one that suits you!

Last edited by Rubesgirl; 07-01-2012 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Larger print
Old 07-01-2012, 06:07 PM

I love love love my Kindle Fire!!
Old 07-01-2012, 06:40 PM

I answered earlier regarding my Nook and being somewhat satisfied with it, but wishing I had waited to get the 'glow' one.

I'd like to expand on that answer now.

For daytime reading the Nook is superb.

For nighttime reading I prefer using the Nook app (or whatever other app) on my HP mini. I've found that for nighttime reading I also prefer to not have much other light on in the room except what is on the computer screen. Others prefer it with the room well lit.

It all comes down to personal preference and what works best for you.

Try out as many as you can and then make a decision. Not sure how you will be able to simulate a semidarkened room when in a store though.
Old 07-02-2012, 05:18 AM

Originally Posted by PABerard View Post
It is absolutely a personal preference, but for reading I love the Kindle. It is just like reading a book, if that is all you want it to do. I have an IPad, and love it, but the back light is tiring on my eyes and impossible to read outside in the sunlight. You kind of need to figure out your needs (or your son's) and then look into your options of Kindle, Nook or IPad. If you have a Barnes and Noble close to you, you can try them out. And I think the Kindles are at Staples now. Good luck ~ Pat

I use the iPad with the kindle app. You should be able to adjust the backlighting on the IPad.
Sandy