Ear wicks?

Old 08-06-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I use to pour a capful of peroxide in my ear when my ear infections got bad and the prescribed meds no longer worked.

It felt really good and it dries up the ear goop so it can come out.

It's not recommended (on the bottle) to use it internally, but I've done it for years and haven't had an ear infection the last 2 years.
My oldest son is like his dad, he has lots of wax and it tends to be quite hard. The pediatrician told us to get a Water Pik :shock: to squirt water in his ears and force the wax out. It didn't work and was very painful for my son, plus he'd had shunts put in to drain fluid when he was three, so I didn't think putting more water in his ears was a great idea. I got a new pediatrician. He told me to put a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide in his ear and let it sit for a minute or two, then gently wipe with a Q-tip. The peroxide dissolves the wax and makes it much easier to remove. This method worked great for my son, who is now 17.

I hope your son's infection clears up soon. My girlfriend's son has some permanent hearing loss because he had so many ear infections when he was a toddler.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:05 PM

I take a tablespoon of Aunt Sue's Pure, Raw, Wild Honey (a Sue Bee product)twice a day for a couple of days and the beginnings of a ear infection run away! No joke.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by lfw045
I take a tablespoon of Aunt Sue's Pure, Raw, Wild Honey (a Sue Bee product)twice a day for a couple of days and the beginnings of a ear infection run away! No joke.
Honey IS antibacterial! My sis-in-law told me she'd heard that if you take a tablespoon of raw, local honey each day in early spring, it helps your body manage allergies. No idea how true this is....
Old 08-06-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish
Originally Posted by frugalfabrics
I use to pour a capful of peroxide in my ear when my ear infections got bad and the prescribed meds no longer worked.

It felt really good and it dries up the ear goop so it can come out.

It's not recommended (on the bottle) to use it internally, but I've done it for years and haven't had an ear infection the last 2 years.
My oldest son is like his dad, he has lots of wax and it tends to be quite hard. The pediatrician told us to get a Water Pik :shock: to squirt water in his ears and force the wax out. It didn't work and was very painful for my son, plus he'd had shunts put in to drain fluid when he was three, so I didn't think putting more water in his ears was a great idea. I got a new pediatrician. He told me to put a couple of drops of hydrogen peroxide in his ear and let it sit for a minute or two, then gently wipe with a Q-tip. The peroxide dissolves the wax and makes it much easier to remove. This method worked great for my son, who is now 17.

I hope your son's infection clears up soon. My girlfriend's son has some permanent hearing loss because he had so many ear infections when he was a toddler.
My doctor uses the water pic with water and peroxide mixed...that's what gave me the idea to use peroxide at home.
Old 08-06-2011, 05:26 PM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Does anyone here use ear candles? I've loved them for years; actually can tell I need to do it again and have been putting it off.

Jan in VA
Old 08-06-2011, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA
Does anyone here use ear candles? I've loved them for years; actually can tell I need to do it again and have been putting it off.

Jan in VA
I've use those on a regular basis...about every other month...they are great too and very inexpensive.
Old 08-06-2011, 09:22 PM

:( :( :(
Old 08-07-2011, 02:49 AM

Ear candles? Hydrogen peroxide? Raw honey? You guys are mentioning things I've either never heard of (ear candles) or thought of using for ear wax or infections (peroxide, raw honey).

What on earth is an ear candle? I'll have to google them.

But I love the peroxide and raw honey advice.
Thanks!
I haven't heard yet if he's feeling better today. I hope so.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:42 AM

The raw honey absolutely works for me. I feel fluid gathering in my ear and I run to the Honey! Twice a day for 2 days is usually all it takes for me. During allergy season, I take it once daily and my nose doesn't even run! Love Aunt Sue's Pure Raw Honey!