Easter Luncheon Party

Old 04-11-2011, 08:49 AM

I have invited a party of ten for luncheon on Easter Sunday and wondered if anybody had any ideas for using my plentiful supply of home laid eggs as a starter. I had thought of egg mayonnaise, but wanted something different. Any ideas gratefully received.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:19 AM
Power Poster

Hmmm, well of course there is develed eggs. For main dishes you have quiche, fritatta, souffle. I will often use eggs as a binder for casseroles.

Lemon merangue pie uses 3. Custards will use several yolks. Angel food cake uses a lot of whites but then you have all those yolks left, maybe make a hollandaise sauce out of them and serve fresh spring asparagus to have with the hollandaise? Or one of my all time favorites, eggs benedict. But i can't imagine making eggs benedict for 10 and still having time to visit with everyone. I have a hard enough time poaching 4 eggs for DH and me, let alone doing 20! (assuming two eggs per person)
Old 04-11-2011, 09:20 AM

Egg Salad is always a hit with my family...

A nice spinach salad with sliced hard boiled eggs and bacon is also a hit..
Old 04-11-2011, 09:57 AM

French Toast Casserole - this recipe uses 1 doz. eggs & is refrigerated overnight.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1918...244198,00.html
Old 04-11-2011, 10:50 AM
Power Poster

All of the above!

Leftover egg yolks from Angel Cake ... there's a Golden Cake recipe to use them in.

Other egg casseroles, variations of what's suggested.

You should have hardboiled cold eggs in the shell, already painted ... let everyone crack them open, and chop for their salad, or eat as is, or whatever!

And if not, at least they will make a nice themed centrepiece.

I make Bugs Bunny Potatoes .... a spin off from scalloped potatoes with lots of carrots added. Nice if done in a shallow pan, such as a deep dish pie plate. Basically pile in the potatoes, carrots, onions and cheese in layers with seasonings. Pour on milk. Cover with foil and bake/steam. Foil off for the last bit to cook off excess milk and brown a little. If you don't overdo the milk, you can cut them into slices that stay together for serving.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:52 AM

Rhubard is always springy for a lunches in a crumble and asparagus with cheese sauce goes well with ham. For Easter cake I always make carrot. Get it? Then frost it and make small tinted green coconut nests on top and put tiny jelly beans inside.
Old 04-11-2011, 11:54 AM

Forgot to say our daughter went to college in your beautiful country at University of Stirling. We have visted and enjoy your plaids, history, foods, bagpipe music, lakes, and of course hospitality. :)
Old 04-11-2011, 09:25 PM

Thank you for your suggestion. I am glad you enjoyed your visit to Scotland. If you ever return you must look me up.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:30 PM

This recipe sounds very rich and no doubt tastes wonderful, but alas maybe a little too fattening for those like my family with high cholesterol problems. Still my guests may not be so afflicted - yes it could be worth a try.
Old 04-11-2011, 09:33 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. You ladies from America really do appear to be wonderful cooks and I am now inspired to knuckle down and prepare my menu.