Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Eating in the fifties

I remember when the first pizza shop came to town. Ohhhh....it was sooooo good! And take-out (Chinese, BBQ, chicken, etc.) was unheard of. After 50 years of cooking, I love take out!
    Julie
    Good friends are like stars; you don't always see them, but you know they're always there!

My family is from Missouri and I was born in '59. Everything was fried. I didn't know meat could be cooked any other way until I married my ex who's from CA...lol. We rarely ate out. I do remember 1 time getting a bucket of KFC while traveling. One of my earliest memories is eating mac & cheese (homemade of course) at my great grandparent's house and marveling at the little lumps of golden cheese. Boxed mac & cheese is terrible compared to this!!!
    I am too blessed to be stressed and too anointed to be disappointed!

Blog Entries
    Ha. ha. cute!! I watched a show on Italian immigrants in the 1800's and the powers that be wanted them to feed their children oatmeal for a good breakfast. The Italian's thought that was pig food!! sometimes i wish for the 50's again though.

Blog Entries
    thanks for the memories
    dare to dream

Quote Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
    First time I ever saw cubed sugar it came with the polio vaccine in it.
    That's funny, our Polio vaccine was a pink liquid in a tiny cup that the teacher made sure the whole class drank at the same time.
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I came from New England, so Saturday night supper was codfish cakes, Boston baked beans, and B&M brown bread from a can. MMMMMM....
    OH YES!!! We cannot get brown bread down here. (See Anne with a big sad face.)
    Life is not a movie. No one is going to yell "CUT" when you make a mistake. - Anne L. Fulton

I am from the South....39 miles south of Boston.

I remember the first time I had sliced processed lunch meat. Early 59's, ate lunch at a friend's house. Came home raving about it, and grandparents laughed at me. My grandparents made everything scratch, and grandpa told me processed lunch meat wasn't from the best part of the animal. LOL They owned an ice cream store, and made their own, if they would have had to put the ingredients on the package it would say cream, sugar, and pure flavorings, NO CORN SYRUP!!!! Those were the days. Thanks, Ditter!!!
    Love to quilt and play with the great grandkids

Thank you so much for the walk down memory lane. I remember my Mother and Grandmother walking out the back door grabbing a chicken kill it, clean it cut it up and that was dinner along with what came from our garden. Killing hogs in the Fall and the wonderful smell coming from the smoke house. I guess the only unhealthy thing we ate was my DM poured bacon fat in everything she cooked of fried.

Blog Entries
    Oh for my Mum's rice pudding made with Carnation canned milk!! We used to fight over who got the skin off the top!
    http://s1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh485/KitsieH/
    Never regret growing older, its a privilege denied to many.
    Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Kitsie

Blog Entries
    We ate a lot of rice, but never did I see it ate with gravy till I got married in '62.. as a kid we ate it with sugar and butter, and I do that till this day...grew up in East Texas, and we never had broiled steak, pizza, seafood, except maybe a perch or two, spaghetti, but plenty of pork and chicken, and anything grown in a garden. And Hamburgers didn't grow in the garden.. We didn't have sliced bread till I was 15. Oh gosh!! I forgot, I'm old!!.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by juneayerza View Post
    First time I ever saw cubed sugar it came with the polio vaccine in it.
    Sounds familiar.

Quote Originally Posted by lynnie View Post
    is that true, rice was never served for dinner? I was born in '59, and had rice with chicken in about '65 or so.
    We only had rice when my mother made turkey soup. She couldn't make it without it lumping up on her she said . I first had it as a side dish after I became an adult. Maybe it is processed differently as I don't have any problem making it. I'm from new england so maybe a regional thing.
    Sally

Quote Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
    I came from New England, so Saturday night supper was codfish cakes, Boston baked beans, and B&M brown bread from a can. MMMMMM....
    Me too. MMMMM
    Sally

Thank you so much. This does take me back.
    Aronel aka Lee

That was GREAT!!....and we had rice with our pigs in a blanket (cabbage rolls)............Don't forget corned beef hash from a can !! LOVE that stuff !! and fried Spam with eggs..... Woo Hoo !!!
    Of all the things i've lost, i miss my mind the most.

Blog Entries
    I remember coming in after sledding (using a large piece of cardboard for a sled) and having my Mom make us a dish of pieces of home made bread, Hot milk and sugar. It sure tasted good!

Blog Entries
    Yes, I remember the polio vaccine on sugar cube and maybe at Grandma's.

Blog Entries
    I remember when pizza in the box first came out. My older brother had been at my aunt's house and came home and stated, "I don't know what Aunt Marie is having but it sure stinks" ( I guess he was referring the cheese). He still does not eat pizza and he is 66.

Blog Entries
    ...those were the days....
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

dd
    It was in the 60's actually. Still very few fast food restaurants around here. We would go to a neighboring town for shopping and visiting family. Sometimes on the way home, dad would stop at a small store that did their own butchering, and get a lb of bologna and a loaf of bread. Mom would put together sandwiches, no mustard or anything else, and hand them out in the car on the way home. Two pieces of bread and 2 pieces of bologna. Guess money was tight that week. Still eat bologna sandwiches that way.
    Blessed are the quilters, for they are the piecemakers.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Diannia View Post
    My family is from Missouri and I was born in '59. Everything was fried. I didn't know meat could be cooked any other way until I married my ex who's from CA...lol. We rarely ate out. I do remember 1 time getting a bucket of KFC while traveling. One of my earliest memories is eating mac & cheese (homemade of course) at my great grandparent's house and marveling at the little lumps of golden cheese. Boxed mac & cheese is terrible compared to this!!!
    Homemade mac and cheese!! yes!! After marriage and children, I'd gotten in the nasty habit of using boxed mac and cheese... until we went to a funeral and at the dinner, someone had brought REAL mac and cheese... It brought back such sweet memories and I've never bought another box again... that was 25 years ago!!! There's just nothing like the old ways... thank goodness for Southern Living magazine and the recipes!!!
    "... let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us."

Quote Originally Posted by margiepc View Post
    I remember coming in after sledding (using a large piece of cardboard for a sled) and having my Mom make us a dish of pieces of home made bread, Hot milk and sugar. It sure tasted good!
    That was the most favorite dish that my Dad got us to like as well, had forgotten all about it. Oh, I do not remember having 'store' bread, as Mother would bake a big batch every Saturday.
    Thank you for reminding me, another fond memory of our youth.

thanks for the memory trip ! I remember I worked in the kitchen at school to earn my meals. Government must have given the schools rice either cheap or free cause we had 'spanish rice' at least twice a week. I hated it and here I was working for it! mother would made enough food for their noon meal so my sister and I could then make supper as we were farmers and mother and dad milked 12- to 15 cows by hand and appreciated the evening meal ready when they finished.
    We also raised hogs, sheep, and LOTS of chickens. the cracked eggs we kept for ourselves. now days are they thrown away? Mother also was a great cook and baked lots of bread.

Oh yes - I remember the 50s & 60s Mom canned so we have "home cooked" meals. There was no Mc Donalds, Burger King, Taco Bell - all the "fast food" joints. Mc Donalds wasn't until the late 50s or early 60s (can't remember). Mom made pizza - we didn't buy it. Home made noodles. Milk from the farm with cream on the top. Snow pudding. Eating ice cycles broken off the eves of the house during the winter. Popcorn from a bag popped on top of the stove in a soup pot. I could go on and on. Those were the good old days. Ahhhh - Memories.

I wonder if the rice-milk pudding she was referring to was like desert rice pudding.
    margee

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast