Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
Edible fruit as floral arrangements >

Edible fruit as floral arrangements

Edible fruit as floral arrangements

Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 AM
Power Poster

My DD said one was delivered to her office and no one would eat it as it was delivered uncovered. I bet the sender never thought of how it would be delivered and she should let the person know.
Am I the only one that thinks this is disgusting? Also How many hands were on that fruit? Who peeled it? Who stuck the stick into it? Who wiggled and poked it into the right shape? The juice would drip from any cut fruit, the fruit would have to be drenched in absorbic acid to keep it from turning brown after a few hours. Was it assembled in a commercial inspected kitchen? Well I am the weird person who won't eat hand dipped or hand packed ice cream either. LOL.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:44 AM

I have a place in town that also does edible arrangements, but I have never seen one--just their advertisements. I'm curious now about how the arrangement is packaged before delivery. I would hope they fall under the same guidelines as restuarants with the health dept. inspections, but maybe not.
Rose
Old 12-09-2009, 08:45 AM

I am with you there. They are beautiful but not the cleanest thing in the world. I like wrapped things. That doesn't mean they are cleaner, but at least they look it.
Old 12-09-2009, 03:26 PM

A good friend had one for her daughter's shower and it came wrapped in clear food service plastic. I was watching it be unwrapped. The name of the company is 'incredible edibles'. I'm sure if you google them, it might clear up some of your questions....
Old 12-09-2009, 03:52 PM
Power Poster

My daughter worked for Edible Arrangements in Portland, OR.
They wore gloves while preparing/handling all of the food. They were very strict in all aspects of preparing the arrangements. They were also inspected by the Health Dept like any other restaurant/food establishment. I also know that all of their arrangements were wrapped in clear plastic wrap before being taken out to the refrigerated van to be delivered. (I went there one day to watch them make these incredible edibles :D:D:D)
These are no different in my opinion, than buying food out of a bakery :wink:
Old 12-09-2009, 04:11 PM
Banned

Location: lost in fabric & I'm not coming out until Secret Quilt Angel is over.

i have a degree in culinary arts when it comes to food safty there are so many rules and regulations I can't believe it arrived uncovered. Amma is right what is the difference of buying food from a bakery or deli for that matter. now this is gross but large manufactures/corporations of food are allowed a certain % of bugs ect in their product as per the dept of agriculture. Just and example is 10% of coffee beans infested, ketchup 30 fruit flies per 100 grams, peanut butter 50 insect fragments per 100 grams. and the list goes on. as clean or fussy as everyone is everyday of your life you are eating bugs. SOOOOOOOOOOO do you want some kethup with those fries????? more food for thought even though you wash your fruits and veggies do you do it with soap? was there a raccoon up in the apple tree before they were picked and did by chance the raccoon pee while up there and get the apples wet??????? if you think about it all you would never eat now would you??????? OH just for the record I wash my kitchen towels seperate from everything else is hot water and bleach and NO one washes their hands in my kit sink.
Old 12-09-2009, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by trupeach
was there a raccoon up in the apple tree before they were picked and did by chance the raccoon pee while up there and get the apples wet???????
After a lifetime of eating fruit directly from trees, I must be hardy stock. If critters were peeing on it, I never noticed any difference. My personal view is we are more in danger from hormones and genetic modifications. Gotta admit, though - I have never seen any kind of transported fresh cut food come unwrapped. It's just common sense, in case it gets toppled in the vehicle.
Old 12-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Power Poster

This was a small local florist. Probably made the arrangement at home and brought it to the office on the way to the shop.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:28 PM

ok this begs the question: If you were to be handed a list of the things you have ACTUALLY injested in your life, would you look at it?

I would have eaten the fruit.
Old 12-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Power Poster

LMBO....somethings I would rather remain ignorant about :D:D:D