elephant ear plant

Old 06-06-2018, 04:08 PM
Power Poster

Default elephant ear plant

we planted bulbs of elephant ears. they did well and are about waist high now but some of the newer leaves are turning yellow. too much water supposedly. i know it was raining but the mulch on them is packed hard and dry. should i water again since it is 98 almost every day.... Not sure.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by nativetexan View Post
we planted bulbs of elephant ears. they did well and are about waist high now but some of the newer leaves are turning yellow. too much water supposedly. i know it was raining but the mulch on them is packed hard and dry. should i water again since it is 98 almost every day.... Not sure.
My old-fashioned elephant ears live in the water, so I doubt it is too much water. They clog the ditches out around here. I would bet yours aren't getting enough water, especially with the mulch feeling hard and dry.

I do have some giant elephant ears. They get to about 5 foot tall and they do prefer it drier, although they like it moist, just not wet.
Old 06-06-2018, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Check what the soil is like below the mulch ... it could be very wet down there, yet dry on top.
If they have wet feet ... the leaves could go yellow

They are sun lovers.
While they can take a fair amount of shade, too much shade could see their leaves turn yellow.
If other plants have grown more around them in recent years, what was an ideal amount of sun/shade may have become more shady, and thus your problems.
Old 06-08-2018, 06:28 AM
Power Poster

mmmm, this was the only spot to plant them. below my bedroom window. they get morning sun and some mid-day. they never turn toward the afternoon sun. I will dig deeper. I am thinking they really need water but hate to over do things. It's been hot here though.
Old 06-08-2018, 09:33 AM

Water into the earth in the evening or early morning if you water from above when sun is out plants can burn