Embroidered Gifts For Kids

Old 06-02-2013, 09:07 AM

Default Embroidered Gifts For Kids

I'm wanting to make embroidered gifts for my four grandkids, ages 5--1 1/2. They have waaay too many toys and plenty of clothes. When I was working I spent $50 per kid. Now that I'm retired it's too much. I'm new to embroidery so this is all a new experience for me.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:17 AM

This isn't embroidery, but one year I made my grandkids, I think 6 at the time, game quilts. They loved them.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:18 AM

It is my experience that kids like ANYTHING with their name on it. Little backpacks always seem to be a hit. I've done pillowcases that were well received. Cases for hot wheels or Barbies work well.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:27 AM

Depending on their ages, you can make tote bags for their doll clothes or hot wheels cars, pillowcases for each holiday. Mine especially loved the glow in the dark fabric for Halloween. I embroidered on the pillowcase cuffs for Christmas - "Dear Santa, I've been SOOOOO good!" Personalized placemats. Winter scarves. Nightgowns with flowers embroidered on them. If they are little enough, look up pillowcase dresses. And, of course, you can make them quilts with embroidery in each block.
Old 06-02-2013, 09:28 AM

Check out some of the in the hoop projects at Oma's; I go to oregonpatchworks.com and they have lots of embroidery companies under them. There are tic tac toe games, cloth "paperdolls" and dolls and all kinds of things for kids to play with. They aren't expensive and take up little room. Of course you can also make them a quilt or a pillow for thier beds or in the car.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:11 AM

Crayon rolls. Fun and easy to make. There's several tutes on the net. A tooth fairy pillow for the oldest. Wish my kids had one of these. The tooth fairy found it really hard to make the switch at our house. LOL The totes are a great idea for play and for school. Embroidered tees. Personalized Christmas stockings made special by Gramma.
Old 06-02-2013, 10:55 AM

There are panels out there of roadways and buildings printed on them from which you can make play mats for playing with their cars/trucks. I have one, haven't done it yet but I'm planning on quilting the outline of the roads and buildings to hold it all together. I got backing fabric which is cars/trucks all over. I'll use a thin batting. Good to play with or to cuddle in.

Are you going to do machine embroidery(I do hand embroidery)? You could embroider things on shirts, hats, pillow cases(on the end piece).

Last edited by selm; 06-02-2013 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-02-2013, 02:38 PM
Power Poster

my grandson is into bayblades so i made him a bayblades tote bag.
Old 06-03-2013, 04:14 AM

I embroidered bath towels for each of my nieces and nephews for Christmas this year. Each child got a design that spoke to their interests (football, super heroes, butterflies) and also their name. Hoping this will decrease laundry for their moms. Also bought terry cloth beach bags and towels at TJ Maxx and have been embroidering names on them for my daughters' friends as birthday invitations arrive. Great personalized gift that is useful and you know no one else will be giving. I've also embroidered a favorite animal on Tshirts for bday gifts. Kids love them.
Old 06-03-2013, 06:55 AM

Quillows are nice too (a quilt that folds into a pillow). My grandkids love pillowcases that I made them. Made them for all the holidays and then one day one told his mom he needed one for his birthday too.